CHAPTER 43: Curiosity

CHAPTER 43: CURIOSITY

What are you hiding from me?

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris Glasgow strode along the corridors of the new base of the Silver Crescent – the world-famous imperial-themed five-star hotel of Kyōto, The Capital. The chains dangling on his black leather coat jingled with his every footstep, his fists clenched tight and his eyebrows furrowed from mixed feeling of remorse and dismay. Finally reaching a secret corridor bordered by mirrors and Japanese room dividers made of colorful papers and intricate calligraphy, he made his way into the narrow path leading further to a hidden door.

He subjected himself to the iris and thumbprint scanner on the entrance and waited for the confirmation to allow his passage. Five seconds later, he ultimately heard the subtle clink from unlocking bolts.

Despite the high-tech security locks on the exterior, the room behind the secret door retained the hotel's feudal lord theme. The floors were made from wooden planks, intentionally producing 'creaking' sounds as one stepped on them. It was said that these so-called 'creaking floors' served as defense from thieves and assassins in the olden times, working very much like burglar alarms. Rolls of parchments containing artistic calligraphy adorned the walls bordered by bamboo and Japanese paper. Colorful lanterns of different sizes and shapes hung from the dome-shaped ceiling along with security cameras and panels of laser detectors.

On the farthest left, he saw an extensive collection of samurai swords mounted on the wall.

"Like my collection?" a familiar voice said to him.

Chris rolled his eyes away from the samurai swords and glared at the man sitting behind the round tea table along the bullet-proof glass windows. Rei reached for the porcelain cup in front of him and took a sip of his tea, hiding his mischievous grin from Chris.

"Why don't you take a seat and join me?" Rei said, gesturing to the empty chair in front of him.

Instead of obeying, however, Chris walked towards him immediately asked, "Why?"

Rei raised his eyebrow, carefully placing down his tea on the table, "Why what?"

"Yo, why didn't you punish me?" Chris continued. "I messed up too, didn't I? The Spider Web was stolen, yo, and I wasn't able to do anything!"

"Ah," Rei shrugged. "…that."

"Why didn't you punish me too?" Chris repeated his question.

"You came all the way here just to ask that? I'm amused… and curious. I've always thought of you as the passive one in the Silver Crescent," Rei said. "If you're saying this out of sympathy with Siren…"

"I'm NOT sympathizing with anyone!" Chris replied automatically, cutting him midway. "Yo, but what you did to Lin… is too much!"

"I thought you said you're not sympathizing," Rei reached for the small kettle to pour another cup of tea. "Were you lying?"

Chris heaved a sigh, helplessly rolling his eyes away from his glare. Rei seemed pleased with Chris' reaction. He took one more sip of his tea before he finally stood up from his seat, heading towards the larger desk. Chris followed him and stood in front of the table as he watched Rei pull out a metal box from one of the drawers.

"I need you," Rei placed the box on top of the desk and pushed it towards Chris, "to help me with these."

Chris received the metal box, "What's inside?"