CHAPTER 62: Engagement

CHAPTER 62: ENGAGEMENT

 Now, choose your destiny.

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three weeks later, Kosuke and I decided to host a small party to celebrate our engagement. I had to spend the past few days shopping for new clothes I would wear for that special day, for my old ones had become tighter and tighter as the days passed by too quickly. I had gained weight proportional to the increasing circumference of my waist.

 "So where would it be?" Yamazaki Nami asked as she brought out a new set of maternity clothes from her collection of self-designed dresses. "Your engagement party?"

"On a white beach house up north past the mountain trail. It's a two-hour drive from here. The road is steep and the area is secluded. Only close friends would be there," Kosuke replied.

"Oh, that would be so sweet!" Nami smiled, reaching for my hand. "I'd love to take more pictures of you two."

"We would appreciate it if you could come too, Nami-san," I placed my hand over hers.

"I'll be there," Nami nodded, "for sure."

I looked up to Kosuke and saw the anxious expression on his face. It has been more than three weeks since Yamazaki Daisuke was imprisoned. Although his stepfather pleaded guilty for the cases he filed against him, a lot of work was pending to be done. Kosuke had been busy and sleepless for the past few days preparing required documents for the case. We only got the time to pay Yamazaki Nami-san a visit today.

I stood up from the chair and walked towards the exit, "I'd just go out to buy some charcoal and barbeque sticks for the night camp."

"I'll go with you," Kosuke said.

"No, I'm fine," I smiled. "You haven't seen your mother in a long time. This is the best time to catch up with each other… Go!"

He kissed me on the forehead, "Okay. Just don't take too long."

"I'm happy that you two are going along well after all that happened," Nami commented as she watched me walk away from them through the glass walls of her fashion boutique.

"How about you, okaa-san?" Kosuke asked her. "How have you been since Father…"

"Don't worry about me, Kosu-kun," Nami interjected, reaching over to fix the strands of Kosuke's hair. "What's important is that the Spectra would never cause any trouble anymore."

"Okaa-san, can I ask you something?"

"Go on…"

"I was wondering," Kosuke said. "How come after all the things Father did, you still stayed by his side? Aside from the fact that he's blackmailing you? I noticed that you never ever showed any obvious sign of protest against his manipulation. Could it be that after all the things he had done, you still love him?"

"Love is an overrated word, Kosu-kun," Nami heaved a sigh. "You could say that I don't hate him completely. A part of me has learned how to accept him despite his wrongdoings. Maybe that's it."

"I hate him beyond words," Kosuke clenched his fists. "I don't think I could ever forgive him after all he has done."

"Hate is another overrated word. Maybe it's simply because you didn't love him as you should to begin with. He’s still your father after all."

"I can't love a murderer."

Nami placed her hand on Kosuke’s shoulder, "Remember that regret is always in the end." Then, she stood up and picked up a gift-wrapped box hidden beneath her desk, "Oh, here… This is my engagement gift for the both of you. Don't open it until tonight or you'll spoil the surprise!"