Vacation. (1)

[Super Friends take a week-long
vacation at a lake house.]

SONG:Perfect Places by Lorde_________________________________________

SONG:
Perfect Places by Lorde
_________________________________________

J’onn and M’gann flew—it’s so much easier, and faster. But Kara remembers road trips with Alex and Eliza and Jeremiah, so she insists that the rest of them drive together to the lake house they’ve rented for the week.

They barely fit in one vehicle.

James drives. Mostly because he’s the tallest and he refuses to sit in the backseat, but also because he’s the most patient driver out of all of them.

Maggie copilots. None of them are sure how it’s fair that the shortest person gets the most leg room, but she yelled
«Shotgun!» before they even walked out of Alex’s apartment, and they were too busy laughing to put up much of a fight.

Alex, Lena and Kara sit in the backseat, with Winn and Mon-El banished to the third row, because «Seriously guys, less talking. It’s 6AM.» and «We have to be trapped in this car for five hours?» and «WILL YOU PLEASE JUST SHUT UP FOR FIVE MINUTES.»

They did shut up, eventually. About an hour later, their excitement for the trip was replaced by an overall tiredness from waking up so early. The sound of the car cruising over the pavement lulled most of them to sleep.

Maggie is curled up in the front seat with a blanket over her legs and a pillow between her head and the window. Winn’s leaning against the window next to him. Lena fell asleep on Kara’s shoulder, but when Kara drifted off minutes later, she fell further away from Lena—toward the window—so Lena forced herself back upright without opening her eyes. Moments later, her head fell the other way, leaning onto Alex’s shoulder.

James senses the silence growing and looks back in the rearview mirror to check on the crew behind him. Mon-El is propped up on his elbow on the back of Kara’s seat, his other hand gently brushing her hair back and out of her face.

James speaks softly, «Last man standing, Mon-El?»

Mon-El looks over at Alex and smirks, “Not quite.”

James laughs, of course. «Do you ever sleep, Alex?»

She laughs quietly, «Occasionally.»

...

A few hours later, James pulls into a little gas station on the side of the road. When he shuts the engine off, Maggie and Kara wake up. James gets out to pump gas and Maggie stretches out in the front seat. Kara quietly gets out and folds up her seat so Mon-El can climb out of the back, but it wakes up Winn, who squints in the now-daylight, but follows them out of the car.