Hunter

Hunter

Chapter 1

I was raised to kill vampires.

When I was seventeen I lost my father. It’s in my blood to despise them, to get rid of their existence so the human race isn’t threatened by them. No good can come from them. They are killing machines that have no feelings; a robot. Their race needs to be wiped out completely so that we can survive.

They will take over. They will hunt us down and kill us off or turn us into them. Once a vampire feeds, they cannot be stopped. They keep drinking and drinking until they are drained of blood. But they disguise it stealthily. They can heal the wound in the feeders neck. They dispose of the bodies so nobody will ever find out what they did. Why they did it. Why it’s so wrong.

When I was ten, my dad started to train me. He taught me the basics of vampires. What they did and how. He drilled it into my mind that they just kill. They do nothing else. When I was thirteen, he taught me how to kill one. He showed me the basics of that. I went through so much training, so much sweat and quick decision making and weapons that when I was sixteen, there were two dead vampires on my plate.

But those two were nothing. They were two girls, weak, no blood in them. If vampires do not drink for more than a week, they grow weak. Too weak to feed, to capture. The blood in them that they eat from humans slowly dissolves. When it decreases, their heart can’t pump it because there’s none left. So they need more. But some get too weak and die.

But that’s not the only way. They can die, or rather, be killed, by a certain type of metal. Bronze. We use it in all of our weapons; swords, bullets, knifes, anything we can get our hands on. We just mix it in and it’ll kill vampires. But only if you strike them in the heart or the brain.

The bronze can hurt a vampire, say, if you scratch it with a sword. It’ll cut them and make the blood flow out, making their blood levels go down. Unlike humans, they can’t make more blood. Once it’s gone, it’s gone, and they need another feeder. But if you stab them in the heart or the brain with the bronze, they immediately die. They can’t heal themselves. They could heal their cuts with a normal sword quickly, but if you use bronze, it takes longer.

I hunt vampires one at a time. I don’t like to hunt two or three at the same time. I like to take my time with one and not worry about anymore. If I see one on my way to hunt another, then just maybe I’ll kill it if I have time. But other than that I’ll just kill the one I’m suppose to.

I’ve killed a total of 64 vampires in my life. More than any hunter ever has that‘s still living. I’m number one on the list. You need a vampire killed, I’m there. I’ve taken on strong vampires, weak ones, small ones, big ones. You name it, I’ve killed it. They’ll do anything to live; say they have a family, they promise they’ll never feed again, some just like to call you nasty names. I don’t get attached and I don’t think. If I think, I hesitate, and if I hesitate for that god damn split second, they can kill me.

That’s exactly what happened to my dad.

My dad has killed 78 vampires in his life. More than any person in the world, in history, in anything. He did the same thing I do; don’t hesitate, you’ll end up dead. Well, he did end up dead, because he hesitated. He was thinking. He didn’t want to kill this one. He was going to let this one go.