Pack and Go

Chapter 25

When I wake up, I’m cuddled into Ace’s side. I know he’s awake because one of his hands is playing with my hair. I breathe in, moving away from him to smile at him sleepily. “Morning.”

He smiles, eyes coasted down at my face. “Morning, sweetheart.”

“Do we have to get up?” I groan, pressing my face into his neck. The scent that makes me obsessed with him is dancing around my nose. I wish I could bottle it up and take it everywhere with me.

He groans too, grasping my back and hugging me tighter. “You make it almost impossible to say yes.”

“We could just stay here…sleep the rest of the day…maybe do some other things…”

A sigh leaves his lips. I know he’s actually debating on this. “Scarlett…”

A giggle leaves my lips. A true, sincere, giggle. I haven’t giggled since I was six. He makes me happy, and that’s a tough feat to do. I give him props. I flop back onto the pillows, staring up at the ceiling. “You’re too easy to manipulate.”

“If it’s for you I’ll do whatever you want.” I see him send a wicked smirk at me through my peripheral vision. “Anything you want.”

“You’re disgusting.”

“You’ve called me that many times before, and just like any of the others, I really don’t care.”

We lapse into silence, mostly because I can’t stop thinking about the Vinges. If it weren’t for them, we’d probably be in our own bed, asleep. But then again, if it weren’t for them, we probably wouldn’t be together. So I should be thankful and not, at the same time.

The Vinges. I forgot to tell him. Well, I didn’t forget. I just…never mentioned it. I don’t mention it to a lot of people. I turn to him, slowly. “Do you remember Peter? Their ex-leader, when they weren’t that big of a deal?”

Ace nods. “Yeah. What about him?”

“Did I ever tell you how my dad died?”

He slowly shakes his head, then looks to me. “No. Why?”

I sigh. “Well, long story short, my dad went after him because he drank from my mother. Peter killed my asshole of a mother. My dad, deep down inside, still loved her, so he went after him. I tried to talk him out of it because Peter was the strongest vampire alive. Well, he went after him, and he…uh…died.”

Ace stares at me. “Why are you telling me this?”

I swallow, ignoring his question. “I was angry when he died. I drank a lot…when…he died. But I slowly got over it and vowed to kill Peter. I went after him, after a lot of careful planning. I finally did…kill him. But it was never recorded. In history, it’s down as my father who killed him and died along with him. But I was the one who did it.”