An Arm For An Arm

Chapter 19

After my shower, Chelsea forces me to eat food and drink water. She lets no one near me, not even Ace, until I finish my food. I thank her for that, because I didn’t realize how hungry I was until I saw the food. After I’m done eating, I sit on her couch, and see everyone crowd around me.

I focus on Riker, though. He was shot in the arm. There’s a bandage on his forearm, but he looks fine. “How’s your arm?”

He twists it and grimaces a little. “The bullet just scraped my arm. Nothing serious.”

“I know. But I caused it, so I’m sorry.”

He looks at me, deathly serious. “You didn’t cause it. I did. I should’ve never said anything - ”

“I should’ve never taken Ace’s place, but I did that, so….” I shake my head and clear my throat. “Anyways. They took me to their car and Graham couldn’t take my complaining so they knocked me out. Dunno how long I was out for, but I woke up in a cell. I sawed my way out because they didn’t check my shoes for weapons. Got out of the cell, ran upstairs, shot Lex in the arm, ran out into a forest, went to a pub, drank some water, hotwired a car and now I’m here.”

Piers stares at me with raised eyebrows. “You shot Lex in the arm?”

I bob my head up and down. “Yep. Payback for shooting Riker in the arm.”

Riker smirks at me. “Damn, girl, you put up a fight.”

I turn to Chelsea, ignoring Ace’s hard, trained stare on me. “Do you have a big saw or anything like that? I need to cut these cuffs off of me.” I raise my arms to show her the metal around my wrists.

She jumps off the couch. “Why didn’t you say anything before you showered, you silly girl!? Yes, I’ve got this right here - ”

She runs to her garage and comes back with a saw that can cut through the metal, and I take it and try hacking away with it. I struggle with it a little, and suddenly, it’s taken out of my hands. “You can ask for help, you know,” Ace murmurs, and gently starts sawing the metal off.

I scowl at him. “I had it. I didn’t need any help.”

“But sometimes you’ve been through enough and you should let someone take care of you for a change,” He says quietly, not looking up at me.

Chelsea suddenly clears her throat. “Why don’t we all go eat a really…really late dinner?”

“But it’s - ”

“Dinner. Now,” Chelsea cuts off Lexi. I know why she’s doing it. To give Ace some alone time with me. Piers sees it too, because he sends me a wink. 

When we’re alone, and one of the cuffs is finally off my wrists, I look to Ace. “I know you’re probably undeniably angry with me, but I’m sorry. I needed to take your place. If they got a hold of you….I’m sorry. You needed to stay here. You didn’t see how badly beaten you looked,” My voice breaks on that last part, so I sniff in and close my eyes. “I just…they couldn’t take you. I’d rather them hurt me than you.”