Drink Yourself to Death

Chapter 6

I end up staring at the three of them. They stare back at me. I’ve never even looked at the ranks, let alone know who’s underneath me. I didn’t care that I was number one ranked, I wouldn’t care if I was a hundred ranked. I haven’t ever really cared. I stopped caring when my dad died.

I turn to Ace, finally. “Why did you bring us here?”

Ace grins, like he’s been waiting for that question for a long time. “To train you all. To see how good you all actually are. I’ve watched all four of you, to see your advantages. Disadvantages. Strong points. Weak ones.”

“But why, shit for brains?” Riker drawls out, coming to sit down on the couch near Piers. I stay standing stiffly, staring at Ace.

Ace shifts, suddenly a serious tone to him. “There’s this group of vampires that joined together a couple years ago. They weren’t much trouble, but they are now. They’re turning humans into vampires on purpose. Wants the human race to die out, replaced with vampires.”

I stare at him, digesting this. “Is it the Vinges?”

Ace stares at me. “Yeah. How’d you know?”

“I’ve heard of them.” My eyes go down to the ground. “My dad was hunting them before he died. But they weren’t that big of a deal, they weren’t trying to turn humans.”

Turning humans to vampires is a hard thing to do. Vampires have to force and train themselves to stop drinking. It’s painful; it’s like ripping a bone out of your body, but the human feels nothing. The vampire feels it. The chemicals in the fangs release into the blood, staining it; poisoning it. The human blacks out, wakes up a vampire. The end.

The Vinges were just four people, from what I’ve heard from my dad. Four ordinary vampires. They went out in groups for feedings; take a bunch of people and just drink. A mass feed. It was disgusting; they’d leave tons of bodies laying around everywhere. They were addicted to blood. Some of them would drink so much of it they’d throw it up, then go back for more. Disgusting.

“Well,” Ace continues before staring at me with an unreadable expression, “they’re recruiting. They want an army of the strongest vampires to take down all the cities in America. Then they’ll travel and spread over the world.”

“When do they start recruiting?” Lexi asks.

“Already begun a couple weeks ago,” He replies. “They plan to attack in a wave; starting with the west coast, moving to the east in a couple months, once they have enough vampires.”

“How many do they want?”

“Probably over a thousand,” Ace shrugs, as if it’s not a big deal. “I’ve recruited you four, along with myself, to stop them.”

He grins proudly, as if we actually have a chance.