Speeding Bullet

Chapter 13

“There’s a gun strapped to the side of my thigh.”

Ace comes out of his trance of staring at my dress, heavily sighing. “Why?”

“Because I don’t trust those sons of bitches.”

“We’re not making a big scene, you know,” Ace tells me, turning around to look at himself in the mirror.

It’s around eight at night, and I’m fully dressed in my fancy attire. I added the bow to my hair, and even put on red lipstick. Ace is in his suit, with the shirt this time, and his hair is messy. We’re all ready; just waiting on Lexi and Riker.

“If I feel threatened I won’t stop myself from killing someone.”

Ace sighs, like he expected my reaction to be this way. “That’s why I’m your date. I’ll be stopping you from killing someone.”

I pause, considering this. And then I shrug. “Yeah, pretty much.”

Lexi, after God knows how long, finally comes out of the bathroom. She’s in a long periwinkle dress that’s very slim, like her. Her dress stops directly at her feet. Her makeup makes her glare intensify by a thousand. Riker hops off the couch, coming over to his date. He’s wearing a replica of what Ace has on, but his hair is smoothed down with some gel.

“Okay,” Ace says, clasping his hands together. “The number one rule tonight is to not cause a scene. Lay low. And try to get as close to the Vinges without them really seeing you. They probably won’t recognize you, but if they look at you too long, they’ll remember your faces. They probably have a board of rankers memorized in their brains. Just names, not faces. So if someone asks for your name, make up a fake one, understand?”

We all nod.

“Oh!” Ace, fishes something out of his pocket. He opens his hand to reveal tiny, white rocks. “We need to put these on your teeth.”

“What are they?”

“Stick-on fangs. They’re realistic enough to pass through the night. Don’t eat anything, though.” Ace comes over to me. “Open wide.”

Giving him an uneasy look, I open my mouth. He presses one of the white teeth onto one of my teeth, then the other one. He goes over to Lexi and Riker to do the same. I step over to one of the mirrors to look at my reflection, smiling. There’s now two fangs where my normal teeth would be.

I shudder.

I turn to see Riker and Lexi testing their new fangs out too. “Alright, we all ready?” Ace asks, grinning wickedly.

We all pile out into separate cars. Riker goes with Lexi, I go with Ace. Piers left thirty minutes ago in a black van; he needed to set up the equipment somewhere near the party, but not close, either. If they find him we’re all screwed.  Piers hooked us up with little spy cameras on our outfits, so tiny you can barely even notice it’s there.