The Element of Surprise

Chapter 20

“Mornin’, beautiful.”

“Good morning,” I reply, yawning, eyes still half closed. I take a look at my wrists to see if they’ve healed. They’re still a bit cut up, but the redness has dulled down.

Ace catches me staring at them. “You know I was going to come save you. Be a hero and all. But you wouldn‘t let me and saved your own ass.”

“Oh really? How would you have known where I was?”

He looks away. “I knew where you were. Well, I mean, I had an idea.”

I pause, still looking at him. “How?”

He sighs, and the arm around me tightens, then loosens. “I haven’t…I haven’t really told you the full story…”

“On what, Ace?”

“The Vinges.” He finally meets eye contact with me. “Earlier, way earlier, before I even though of making this team, the Vinges…came to me. They asked me to join them, be apart of their group. Before the new girl, Claire, joined. They showed me all their safe houses and things.”

My mouth hangs open. “They wanted you….what did you say?”

“My first thought was abso-fucking-lutely not. But if I told them no, they probably would’ve killed me. So I told them maybe. I’ve been on first base contact with them ever since. They told me their plans, so that’s why I knew they were going to kill me if I said no. I didn’t want any part in it, so I secretly made this team behind their backs…”

I stare at him. “So now they know. That’s why they attacked us. They knew you stabbed them in the back.”

“Pretty much…” He winces. “They’ve must’ve know all along, because they replaced me with Claire.”

Claire. The girl Piers knew. An ex-girlfriend, maybe. But I didn’t know Piers was into vampires….unless he’s not. Unless Claire is like Ace. Half human, half vampire. And that’s why the Vinges wanted Ace on their team, because he wasn’t the same. “Ace,” I say quickly, sitting up.

“What?” He sits up too, concerned.

I turn to him, eyes wide. “What if the Vinges don’t want to turn humans into vampires?”

He stares at me with confusion. “But that’s what they said - ”

“I know. But think about it. They wanted you on their team because you were half-human. Piers, he knew the girl, Claire. Said she was an ex-girlfriend. He wouldn’t date a vampire. What if she was like you, too?”

He shakes his head, slowly. “You said that my file said there wasn’t anybody that was like me…”