Ace's POV - In The Flesh

I've been training all damn day, and all damn night. I snuck out last night and spent a couple of hours training with the swords. It's my weak point; not a very big one, but compared to everything else I'm able to do, my sword game is lacking. Scarlett, on the other hand, isn't. She's an expert in everything she does. Which isn't very fair to all of us.

I finally think I can go up against her with the swords. It won't be easy, but it'll be a good challenge. It's the only thing I think she's better at than me. That says a lot, considering I can do everything a human does, only stronger. So, to impress her, I'll go up against her. She's a tough nut to crack, so I think she'll be completely impressed at my new skill. Hopefully.

So, as I'm running into the training center, there's a mega watt grin on my face. "Hey, Scar!"

I hear something slice, and then a clatter. "Holy fuck!" The words echo across the facility, and all the happiness that was in me before has completely went down the drain. It was Scar's voice. My Scar's voice.

When I reach them, Riker and Lexi are on the side, looking completely out of their element. Piers is right next to Scarlett, two swords clattered on the floor. Scar's holding her shoulder, eyes shut tightly.

"Shit, I'm so sorry Scar, I didn't mean to do that - "

"Move it," I order him, shoving him out of the way. There's only one thing on my mind: See if she's okay. Her eyes snap open to stare at me, and her hand is still gripping at her shoulder. "Lemme see it, Scarlett."

"It's fine. Just a scratch." She tried to sound strong, to brush it off. But her voice was soft, not it's usual loud tone. This only makes me feel worse inside. And to prove that she's fine (which she isn't), she removes her hand. But when she takes it off, it's completely covered in thick red blood.

"That's not a scratch, Scar," I try to say slowly so I don't flip out on Piers. But it's not his fault. It's mine. I'm the one who distracted her. She could've taken care of herself if I didn't go bouncing in. If this was real, she'd be dead. And I would be responsible.

"I'll be fine," She says after she takes a look at it. "Let me finish this match."

To keep myself from shaking with rage, I grab her good shoulder. I know everyone's eyes on are on us, unsure of what I'm going to do next. "No. We're going to get it cleaned up."

She suddenly turns to glare at me. "There's no one going to be cleaning it up when it comes to the real deal, Ace!"

Silence seeps through the empty cracks. I just stare at her, trying to calm myself down. She's right and we all know it. But I don't want her to be. I don't want her to be right, but she always is. I don't want it to be real.

"It's not real for right now. C'mon," I say quietly, more to myself than her. I take a hold of her good arm. We're silent as we make our way back to the house, up the stairs, and to my bedroom. I place her gently on my bed, and a sudden wave of uncomfort nauseates me. She's here, on my messy bed, in my messy room. I swallow, watching her eyes dance around until I have to turn around. "We need a first aid kit."

I rummage in my bathroom for one. I have them all over the place in case something like this happens. So I grasp it, then take a couple of breaths and run my hand through my hair. She's fine. She's fine for right now, I need to calm down. She'll be okay as long as she's with me. I should have never brought her into this mess. She should be home, safe and sound, not worrying about any of this shit.

Hell, I don't even believe that. I needed her. I need her here so I can see her, so I can feel her, so I can protect her. Without her here, this team would be falling to pieces. We would never survive. I would never survive knowing that the Vinges might start attacking hunters, starting with the best. She needed to come here either way. But either way she has a chance of dying.