In The Flesh

Chapter 10

We continue on for weeks and weeks and weeks. Training and training and training. Running, shooting arrows, chucking knifes, playing with fire. On one of the Mondays I brought in fire to jump through. We need to be ready for absolutely anything; including burning buildings. Who knows what we’re going up against.

I’ve started timing our runs. One lap is equal to one mile. We do several laps in one run. We’ve improved greatly, running faster each time. Some of the times I would add in obstacle courses. I had them run through the forest and try not to trip over anything, swing under things, dodge falling items. I’ve posted our running times so far on the board.

Humans:

Riker: 25:32

Piers: 25:54

Scar: 27:13

Lexi: 28:12

Vampire:

Ace: 12:25

Ace forced me to put his time on the board, too. But I separated it because it’s just not fair.

It’s obvious we’re fast. But who knows how much running we’ll actually do. It could be less, it could be more. Way more. But I’m trying my best here, and hopefully we all won’t die trying.

Right now, we’re practicing sword combat. I’m going through each ranker to make sure they’ve got it down pat. I need them to excell in every topic; if they drop in one, I’ll train with them more to make sure they’ve got it.

I went through Riker first. He put up a damn good fight; almost won against me. He definitely doesn’t need help in it. Lexi, on the other hand, might need a little help. She’s not giving her all into anything she does; she’s barely passing. And it scares me.

I’m fighting Piers right now. He’s almost at the same skill level as Riker; which means he won’t need any help either. Just Lexi. I’m going to need a talk with her. 

A sudden whip of a sword comes down at me, jolting me back into my actions. I make a clean swipe at Piers, who dodges, ducking down swiftly. He tries to jab my stomach, but fails, and I try to kick the sword out of the way. He comes at me again, right at the perfect moment.

“Hey, Scar!”

I jump at the voice, which delays me just a second. The sword slices down on the right inner part of my shoulder, closest to my face. My sword falls to the ground with a clatter noise. Wincing, I grip my shoulder, shutting my eyes. “Holy fuck!”

It echoes across the training facility, and the next thing I know, Piers is right next to me, grasping my arm gently. “Shit, I’m so sorry, Scar, I didn’t mean to do that - ”

“Move it,” Ace snaps loudly, shoving Piers out of the way. He looks like a wounded puppy, and I instantly feel guilty because of Ace’s actions. “Lemme see it, Scarlett.”