Empty Promises

Chapter 16

When we get back to the house, the first thing we do is change. Well, actually, the first thing we do is scope around to make sure no one was here, no cameras, no trigger traps or anything like that. We come up empty-handed, which is a relief to us. And then we change.

I throw on a pair of jeans and a black shirt, messily brushing through my hair. I slip on some socks and hurry downstairs, where the rest of them all are waiting. Piers throws a hand up. “Finally. What the hell took so long?”

 I shoot him a glare, cuddling up on the couch. Ace is next to me, and he grabs a strand of my hair and starts playing with it. “Alright. Tell us what you saw in the room.”

God. The moment they’ve all been waiting for. The moment I’ve been dreading. “Okay. There was a map. They’re planning to start in Oregon, move down the west coast, and then lead into the middle.”

“Anything else?”

“There were a bunch of files, tons of them. All of vampires. They sorted into groups; who were strong, who were weak.” I bite my lip, unsure if I should say what I’m about to say. “I saw yours, Ace. Yours was out on the table, open, like they were recently going through it.”

Ace is silent. He looks to me, and I’m waiting for his reaction. “What did it say?”

I take a deep breath, trying to recall what I remember. “It said that you were vampire born, but they were unsure. Your strength excels above all the others. Underneath the word ‘level’ it said dangerous, but I don’t know what that meant. It said out of about 2,000 other vampires, not one of them had traits like you do.”

“Did it say anything about my sister?”

I shake my head slowly. “No.”

“They don’t know I have one,” He mutters. He runs a hand through his hair, pausing in playing with mine. “Okay…”

“It’s not okay,” I tell him, turning to face him, ignoring the others. “What does dangerous mean? Dangerous to them, or dangerous weapon to use?”

He shrugs. “Dunno. Probably both.”

Piers looks over at me. “Did it mention his location?”

“Uh…yeah. It said it was unknown.”

“Good.”

“Not really,” I retort. “They know you were at the party last night.”

“But they don’t know where I am right now,” He chides, smirking. “So we’re good for now.”

“How do we know that they didn’t find this place last night and are just waiting for the perfect moment to strike?” Lexi pipes up.