CHAPTER 21

Dylan was scouting the burned restaurant. Norma's going to be so pissed, he thought. He decided to smoked a cigarette  and walked around, but then one of his foot felt something on the ground. He looked down and saw a burned lighter. He picked it up, examining it and then quickly put it in his pocket.

                                                   ------

 Norma was busy preparing for breakfast when Faye walked in. 

 "Hey, you're not supposed to be up", said Norma.

 "Yes, but after what happened I thought I could be much of help", answered Faye.

 "Oh, okay uhmm... you can start by cutting those onions", said Norma.

 Faye did so, but after awhile she stopped and turned to Norma. "Mrs. Bates...", Faye began.

 "Yes?", Norma answered.

 "It was my fault. I fell asleep. I shouldn't have. I'm so sorry", Faye said teary eyed.

 "It's fine", said Norma. "It was a total loss, but, well... maybe it was all a set up you know? A burned restaurant and a burned body...", Norma sat down and then began to cry. "Oh, God. What are we gonna do?".

 Faye then kneel before Norma, crying too, "I'm so sorry. You should fire me. Kick me out of the house. It was all my fault. I'm really sorry".

 Norma sighed. "No. I'm not gonna kick you out of the house. Where would you go?" Faye couldn't answer so Norma went on, "Ok, here's what we're going to do. You can pay us by working at the motel for free in a month. Sounds good?" Faye nodded. "Good. Now, why are kneeling? Get up", she said half-laughing and Faye did, too.

"Do you hate me, Mrs. Bates?", she asked Norma.

"No. I'm just... disappointed", Norma answered and continued preparing food.

                                     ------

 Emma went to the motel early in the morning and found Norman standing near the burned building. "Hey, I heard from my dad. Are you okay?", she asked Norman.

 "Yeah", answered Norman and they hugged.

 "Is Mrs. Bates-?"

 "She's not doing well", said Norman. "It was sad, you know. Mother's hope for the motel business, all burst up in flames".

 "I'm so sorry", said Emma and they both stared at the burned restaurant.

 "I think someone planned this", Norman said suddenly.

 "Really?"

"Yeah. There was a body, a dead body and Dylan found a lighter at the burned site".

 "Someone killed a person and burned your restaurant with it to cover his tracks", said Emma.

 "That's what I think", answered Norman.

                                        ******