6: max

i felt horrible lying to preston. i really did.
i don't know why i wanted to keep his stupid book.
but i did.
i really did.
i walked into david's class and saw him talking to preston.
well, shit.
i took my usual seat and nikki immediately buried me with questions.
"did you ask him out yet?" she pestered, jumping on top of her chair.
"nope."
"are you even going to?"
"nope"
"ugh." she sighed, throwing her head back and shooting her arms into the air in defeat. "you're no fun!"
i gave her a dry chuckle, placing my feet onto the desk, earning a disapproving look from david.
"oh, i'm plenty fun. i'm just not into preston goddamn goodplay." i said simply, shoving my hands into my hoodie pockets.
neil twitched. "i-i'll tell you my crush if you ad-admit you like him!" his voice cracked, and i snickered.
then i realised.
"wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. neil as a crush!" i exclaimed, practically jumping out of my seat.
"oh-oh hush it!" he sputtered, blushing. i chuckled again.
"who is it, neil? is it gwen? oh my god, it's gwen." i mocked. nikki squealed.
soon, nikki and i were having debates on who it was. nikki voted nerris, i voted harrison.
after all, neil is bisexual.
"wait! max, you have to tell us if you like preston first!" neil bargained, confidence raising. i looked down.
scratching the back of my neck, i looked at preston from across the room. his hair was messy, and he looked like tears had just stained his cheeks. he was shaking ever so slightly. he looked fragile.
i thought for a moment. preston has always come off as a little attractive to me, honestly. not only was he cute, but he was witty. he put himself out there. he was smart, too. and strong. he looks like he's been through hell, and for him to come back alive is impressive.
plus, i kept his book. i, in all honesty, wasn't sure why. it was cute how he read it over and over again and never got tired of it. i liked how he was so delecate with the pages, each one free of stains or rips or tears. he's delecate.
that's when it hit me.
i have a crush on preston goodplay.
i huffed and looked at neil, who had a raised eyebrow.
"fine." i muttered, looking down. i was blushing.
out of the corner of my eye, i saw neil's eyes widen. he stood up.
"y-you have a crush? you have a crush!" he exclaimed in victory. i pulled him down into his chair by his sleeve and shushed him.
i was getting glares. 
"ooh! is it preston? i...i bet it's preston!" nikki whispered. i looked at her.
i brought my voice down to a low level. "maybe it is, maybe it isn't. i'll tell you later."
surprisingly, they both nodded. neil continued on with his end of the bargain.
"alright, this is really weird, and i need you two to be serious about this." neil attempted to compromise.
i shrugged.
"right. serious." nikki said, raising her head and crossing her arms.
"i...oh, boy." he took a deep breath. his voice was shaky. "i. uh. i'm polyamarous? y'know? that 'weird thing' where people are in love with more than one person? yeah? yeah. i, uh, like two people, haha. it's, erm." he brought his voice to a whisper.
"nerris and harrison."

A/N: here's a super long chapter for you guys with extra plot. stay cute.