6: preston

y'know, when you hear your own name coming from the possible love of your life, you start to get worried.
so when i heard the words, 'preston goddamn goodplay' escape from max's mouth, i soon became very intruiged.
"preston goddamn goodplay." i heard him mutter to nikki and neil. i raised my eyebrows and sat down.
after a few minutes, i heard something strange. really strange.
"y-you have a crush? you have a crush!" neil shrieked happily, looking at max. max looked down, an evident blush on his face. i, too, blushed, and looked away.
i sat straight in my seat and looked forward as david coughed and started his lesson.
"alright, students! today, gwen will be anouncing this friday's activity! gwen?" david smiled, looking at gwen. she sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose with her thumb and index finger.
i held in a small chuckle.
"today, kids, we will be working on team building with a project. woo-hoo." her voice dripped with fake enthusiasm. "you and someone chosen randomly will be in charge of creating a project that desribes yourself. it can be anything from a short story to a powerpoint to a play to an art piece."
play.
the word repeated itself over and over again like clockwork. my breathing sped up, and i quickly and quietly tapped my fingers on my desk.
chosen randomly.
gwen sighed again, grabbing a clipboard. "i will now anounce partners. you get who you get, so don't bitch about it."
david frowned at her use of swear words. max laughed a little.
"alright. harrison and neil. dolph and erid. nikki and nurf. nerris and space kid. finally, max and preston." she completed with a third sigh.
my breathing hitched. i stopped drumming my fingers. everyone got up to go sit next to their partners.
everyone including max.
he walked over to me, sitting down across from me, pulling a chair up. he sat the opposite way than normal, his arms resting on top of the chair.
goddamn.
"so, we're partners, eh?" he asked. i just nodded, grabbing a piece of paper and a pen. he eyed me with uncertainty.
"i, uh, i'm sorry for snapping at you earlier. i didn't take your book, i swear." he explained.
i looked up from what i was doing, our eyes meeting. he gave me a small smile.
i couldn't help but smile back.
i giggled a little, too, and he did as well.
"hey, don't worry about it. i shouldn't of overreacted." i apologised, giving him a sincere look. he smiled again.
"so, i'm assuming you want to do a play?" he asked, ruffling his hair a bit.
well, fuck.
i blushed and nodded, looking down.
"a play it is then."