12: preston

"preston, max, you're late." daniel hissed. i shrugged.
"i had a reason, daniel!" i exclaimed dramatically. still shaken from what happened only minutes ago, i took my seat next to max.
he grabbed my hand.
throughout class, i kept shaking. i hated myself for being so oblivious to max's jealousy. i should've called him, i should've called him, i should've called him.
but i didn't.
i was too absorbed in the little bit of social life i actually had.
once we were doing "independent work", the room got loud and i turned to look at max. he was doing something on his phone. i tapped his shoulder.
happily, he put his phone in his pocket. "what's up, babe?"
"i know i already said sorry, but-" he cut me off.
"goodplay, it's alright. i promise. it was a mistake. we're humans. you know i love you, it's okay." he assured me, giving me a one-of-a-kind smile.
i couldn't help but forgive him.
"o-okay." i stuttered. he smiled again, but it immediately washed away as his eyes met with the one person who made his happiness seem to melt.
edward pikeman.
"good morning, little maxwell. hello, mister...preston, was it?" he hissed. i frowned.
"hello, pikeman. what the fuck do you want?" max said with venom in his tone. the sophomore smirked.
"we want to spill your secret."
max froze.
"no...you don't mean..." he began. i remained quiet.
"why yes, dear max. i'm talking about mister hon-"
max cut him off.
"STOP."
the room grew quiet.
"i...what do you want..." he whispered. i reached for his hand and grabbed it. he sighed.
pikeman laughed.
"i...want...hmm...a date."
gasps.

A/N: WHOOPS.
also!
check out my dear friend Majestic_Gem and their new camp camp story!