Chapter 6

Abigale woke up. She first noticed the cold metal floor she was under. She slowly grasped her crutches and stood up. She noticed the wavy bars surrounding the front; she saw Umbreon staring at her, glaring daggers at her. She was captured. Confused as well, she expected to be dead by now, but for some reason Umbreon was still waiting for "the right time".

He walked away. Abigale wondered where this cage was located. Its only ventilation was the wavy bars, which only dawned one of of four sides. She caught a glimpse of the metal lock that dangled from the leftmost side of the front. She didn't dare attempt to perform the cliché action of using your nails as a key and unlocking it from the inside, an action many boring cartoons featured since her claws were far too delicate. She saw Umbreon shove a few Oran Berries through the bars, an equilivant to her supper. Umbreon wasn't heartless, but still kind of mean--at least mean enough to capture and soon kill her. He began circling the cage.
"I wonder why Arceus created an Absol as stubborn as you," he said.
"I wonder why Arceus even thought about creating an Eevee as rude as you," she retorted. His ears twitched as he had no words for the comeback. He moved away. From seeming to go on an Oran Berry diet, she would probably be able to walk by tomorrow. Pokémon healed incredibly fast either way, a broken bone usually taking two weeks to heal completely. Oran Berries sped up the process, Sitrus Berries speeding it up even more. Those berries were rare, however.

Abigale lay down on the floor, the sounds of bird Pokémon chirping and leaves shaking allowing her to drift straight to sleep instantly. She slept until lunch. She found a pile of Oran Berries in front of her again. She slowly consumed them. She saw a stretching plain of grass, completely free of any paths. She saw willow trees and the way the leaves drooped like the tree was sad. She saw a pond in front of her. She saw many things, but didn't see Umbreon anywhere. Her eyes came across a note.

Hey you blue dog, I'm quite busy right now and won't be here for approximately a day. I left you those cute blue berries you love so much, and if you're thirsty then too bad! Now don't try anything because if you leave I will find you!

-Umbreon

She hadn't noticed the larger pile of berries behind her until she read it. She continued the action of sleeping and eating, but couldn't fall asleep at night.  She had nothing better to do, so she forced herself to go to sleep and by the time Umbreon was back, the pile was finished. Abigale put her crutches down, and she was right. She walked just like she used to. A week went by slowly. She thought about how long it would be until Azure returned. She had something to say.

Umbreon began running out of ripe Oran Berries. The lunch she had consisted of two unripe, green, petite looking berries. They were Oran Berries, just not matured. She bit into them. They were incredibly sour, and they weren't healthy either. Days of eating them past, and one day Umbreon had news.
"There are no more berries to be found in this area," he said, his voice expressionless as always, "and no, I can't just go far to get some because I can't leave you alone here.
"Then why did you so that last week?" Abigale said.
Umbreon's eyes were halfway closed in annoyance. "That was something different though."

Abigale looked at her pendant. It was fading a lighter green, and it lost its bright silver sheen. She wondered if it actually brought good luck. She felt an energy emanating from it; an energy few Pokémon were capable of feeling. Weeks past, and her ribs began to show. She tried escaping about four times, and all of those times, Umbreon attacked her. This left several gashes in her skin and made her blind in the same eye as before. Forever. Her pelt was dirty and knotted, and her less recent wounds began to get infected rather than heal. A month of agony and beating past.