7

💀7💀    

Returning home after spending only a few hours in this curious sorry mansion felt strange and wrong for some reason. Even though it was getting dark, the girls hadn't had their picnic completed anyway, thus, they used that excuse to stay a bit longer.

Accordingly, as per Em's suggestion, they sat on the stone staircase and munched on sandwiches.

"You see, I have a very bad feeling about this house," Lucy said in between chewing.

Katie turned around to have a look at the house.

The staircase leading to the entrance of this stone mansion was a set of double doors with the arched top decorated with ornamental corbels, but it was all hidden deep within desiccated creepy ivy and roots of many running plants. It's as if the earth wished to conceal this house from the world. Looking up and sideways, it was evident; that this mansion was once a very beautiful architectural design of its time.

What happened here? Katie couldn't help but wonder out loud.

"I have no idea Katie, but I do have the tingles when I am here. I have no logical explanation for this feeling but I did hear something moments ago." Em said with her mouth overloaded with grilled cheese and chicken sandwich.

"And you are telling me to be mat" Lucy said with a soft scowl.

"But, I am not making up stories and acting all gooey eyed as if I saw a 'ghost'." Em deadpanned.

"Well, I am not as brave as you, to act as if everything happening around me is some game of wind and chimes. I am thinking rationally and don't you dare say I am being a child." Lucy said standing up from the staircase, ready to leave.

"Oh, so you are telling me, that ghosts and as such exist. I am not a fool to believe that." Em said, growing angrier by the second as Lucy continued to make her allegations right.

In midst of their quarrel, Katie was humming to herself as she munched, paying no heed to the girls. This happened quite often that Katie has lost count on how many occasions had she played the peace maker amongst them. Thus, today, she decided, she would not do that despite the fact that; their quarrel was snaking out of comfort zone.

"So you are saying the door banging inside has something to do with the wind, again?" Lucy asked mockingly.

"Like I said before, look at the state of this house, a window or two might have been broken somewhere and yes, drafts can make a door bang shut," Em explained.

"So, who opened the doors in the first place?" Lucy asked.

"Who should have closed it? This house has been forgotten for a very long time as I can see. People could have come here and do whatever they wanted to. What if the doors were opened and it got closed by some forceful wind? It can get windy at times especially this house sits on a hilltop. Look, what is the point here? Why are we even arguing about? Oh, let me see; you want to declare your point of ghosts existing, huh? Listen to me very carefully dear Lucy; writers with extremely over imaginative muse did a very good job in painting none existent love story. So don't you think that they even created exciting horror stories to lure people in? I mean, who doesn't love a good pickled horror story? I know, I do," Em said, with shrugging her shoulders and stretching her arms apart, to prove her point.

"If such books never existed, people would have died a gray death rather than seeing the sunshine mellow. So, dear Emily, don't mock your ancestors." Katie said, packing up the basket.