The Platform

My trunk was in one hand and my wand was in the other. I didn't know why the nerves were eating at me so ferociously but I was feeling so out of place standing at the station. The eccentric red steam engine was puffing and chuffing and hissing, readying for the long journey to Hogwarts.

This was the seventh time I'd ever stood on this platform on September 1st but this time was so different to every other time I'd been there. Excitement wasn't buzzing audibly in the close air. The atmosphere was so much more subdued and it was obvious that there weren't as many wizards bustling about the place.

I turned to Rolf Scamander, who was standing by my side, drinking in the scene with a neutral expression.

We went everywhere together that summer, Chudley, Godric's Hollow, Diagon Alley, all over England and even to Germany where Rolf's ancestors had lived, and now we were going our separate ways. I was going back to Hogwarts and Rolf was returning to his home in America.

"This is the quietest I've ever seen Nine and Three Quarters," I said in a murmur to him.

I could see he now looked solemn. "The wizarding world is still in mourning, Luna," he whispered, "there's a lot of things that will never be the same again."

"It's sad that you can never see it how it used to be," I said earnestly. I had wished for him to be able to experience what I had experienced every September 1st for the last six years.

The corner of his mouth quirked up. He knew I was in need of comforting, and that's just what his soft voice did. "Don't worry about me," he said. "I'll be fine. And you're going to be fine too."

"I'll miss you, Rolf Scamander." His hand touched my forearm, gently and reassuringly. "Thank you so much for all you've done for me."

"It was my pleasure, Luna Lovegood. I'll miss you, too. But I'll write to you as much as I can."

"You'll have to tell me all about life back in the States," I instructed.

Rolf smiled, knowing he'd done his job at making me feel better. "I'll tell you every little detail, if that's what you want."

I smiled and nodded. "I'd love that."

I glanced around the station, students were beginning to board. I saw Hermione Granger hug two tall adults with brown hair the same colour as her own, loving smiles plastered on their faces. Beside them stoof the Weasleys and Harry Potter, his hands in his pockets and an idle smile on his face.

I turned back to Rolf. "I better go," I said to him. I no longer felt nervous, I felt light and just a little bit excited, all because of him.

Rolf wrapped his arms around me and gave me one of the tightest hugs I had ever received, but I loved it like that.

"Be safe," he breathed as he let go.

"You too," I told him. He smiled lopsidedly at me.

I looked away from him and he from me. Without his reassuring voice in my ear I felt my stomach start to twist anxiously again. I needed to give him one last thing.

"Rolf!" I called, turning back around. What space we had created between us I eliminated and rushed toward him. He was tall but on my tiptoes I reached him and I kissed him on the cheek.

He almost looked startled. His cheeks were tinting red. "Thank you for everything," I disclosed, the most sincere and honest sentence I had ever said. I felt a lightness in my chest suddenly and excitement was now running through me again.

I didn't wait for what he said next as I skipped away, clambering on to the train and lugging my luggage behind me.

It wasn't hard finding an empty carriage and I seated myself in one of the first. Folding my hands in my lap, I felt ready for the journey ahead - my last year at Hogwarts.

I couldn't resist a gaze out the Express' window and I looked at all the wizard's and witches below on the platform, bading farewell to their children and friends. I searched the crowd and even caught Molly Weasley's eye. She gave me a big smile full of love and kindness and as I waved back - beaming myself - I felt a love for the woman.

I continued my search around the station but Rolf was gone. I imagined his black scruffy hair and searing eyes once more, among the other witches and wizards and wished I could wave him goodbye.

But before I could start to feel a little dismayed for myself the carriage door slid open with a clatter to reveal Hermione and Ginny. I stood up as soon as I laid my eyes on them and threw my arms around them.

"Hermione, Ginny, I'm so sorry I never wrote and I'm sorry for not be honest with you before, I can't believe I-"

"-Luna," Ginny cut me off. A friendly smile was on her face and I hoped that meant I was forgiven.

"Don't worry about the past, we're all here now and we will be here just the same from now on," Hermione said strictly.

I hugged them close again, one arm around each friend. "Thank you," I whispered into Ginny's hair. I noticed then that it smelled extremely nice, like cocoa butter, but thought maybe I shouldn't mention it.

We pulled away from each other and smiled fondly before taking out seats, Hermione and Ginny across from me.

"It's been a long time since we've seen each other," I said to them.

"Now we just have more to catch up on," Ginny surmised with a shrug and a little smile.

"I want to know all about your summer," Hermione said sincerely.

Before I could mention to Hermione about seeing her parents and asking how the trip went, we were interrupted as the compartment door rattled open.

There stood Ron and Harry.

Ron dove straight in. "Personally, I, want to know about that stranger I saw you with on the platform," he teased. He slid into the seat beside me, right across from Hermione who gave him a knowing smile.

I chortled and ignored him, unable to hide the blush on my cheeks. I looked at Harry who sat down beside Hermione, he seemed so at peace, almost nostalgic. I noticed neither he or Ron had trunks with them.

"Are you coming back for another year, Harry?" I asked hopefully. I would love to spend my last year at Hogwarts with Harry around.

He shook his head, a smile coming to his face, just as the train began to vibrate and chug forward. "No, me and Ron just have business with McGonagall."

That was that. The glint in Harry's eyes told me that if I wanted to know what their business was, I'd have to find it out for myself.

I braced myself, glancing out the window as the platform was left behind and the brown landscape steadily whizzed past, then my eyes returned to the cosy cabin in which we were all seated, Hermione, Ginny, Ron, Harry and I.