Christmas

Mercifully, Christmas arrived, shrouding Hogwarts in festive glitter, dancing baubles and elaborate wreaths coiling around each banister and framing every window.

The Christmas Feast in the Great Hall set spirits high. Headmistress McGonagall assured us all, once again, that despite the terrorist threat that stood against the wizarding world, Hogwarts was steadfast and strong. Some of the other professors gave speeches, telling stories and jolly jokes and creating a jovial atmosphere in the hall.

That night, curled up on top of my covers in bed, the other girls in my dorm stumbled in, boasting sweets and handmade Christmas hats.

Amanda Armstrong was at the top of our class (and considering we were Ravenclaws; it was a very competitive class). Natalie Stokes had always been sort of uppity of herself. She hogged the mirror every morning, meticulously braiding her hair into her two classic plaits. Ramona Chastwick bound the other two together, always an equal balance of smart and popular. As they entered the dorm, their red faces puffed from laughter, she was the one who lay out a selection of candies from her arms and told me to take any that I liked.

At the start of the year, we had ignored each other. I felt uncomfortable around them and obviously preferred the outdoors. They must have known what was going on and they gave testimony to Professor McGonagall about my nightly absences.

But ever since I was called up to the Headmistress' office, the ice had begun to melt. Ramona had reassured me after a particularly sour run-in with Gregory Pumpleskin. "Don't him worry that geezer," she said, "no one likes him, anyway. He's awful immature and it's really off-putting." One day, Amanda actually sat down and helped me with my DADA homework, all the while connoting her opinion of Professor Pepper. We weren't the type of acquaintances that sat beside each other at meals - that role was still filled by Raven - but we were on good terms.

I picked up a few of the fancies that I liked the look of, thanking Ramona profusely. I decided then and there to make them all Christmas cards, but I would have to wait until they were sleeping and give them to them in the morning.

The sweets led to more conversation and the girls seemed to accept me. We ended up talking for a while, reminiscing about our previous Christmases and most memorable gifts, forging our own inside jokes. By the time we all started to doze off, I had almost forgotten about my plan to make them cards. I forced myself to keep my eyes open and waited until I heard snoring drifting from their beds, then I pulled my crafting supplies out from under my pillow with a ruffle and set to work folding and cutting and colouring.

***

Some people were scared to leave Hogwarts, many too daunted to leave the stronghold and see their families again for Christmas. The biggest threat was to the half-blood and muggleborn families. By that time, five wizards and witches had been murdered by the radical group. Two were Ministry officials, one was a travelling writer from Austria and the other two were a retired couple living in Wales. It seemed random, but so far no one affiliated with Hogwarts had been targeted.

There was no way I was staying behind and missing the chance to see Daddy again so I didn't hesitate to board the Hogwarts Express that Christmas Eve.

Daddy greeted me on the platform, his smile stretching across his entire face as he gathered me into his arms. He was still frail and much thinner than I would have liked but there was the distinct gleam in his eyes.

"Luna, my dear, take my hand," he said to me when we left the station. I wrapped my fingers around his without question. "I want to give you your Christmas present early this year."

With a quick jolt, the busy street spiralled around us and we swirled through the darkness, getting stretched and pushed against each other until we were thrown out on the other side of the Apparition.

It took me a few seconds to register my surroundings, blinking fervently in the brightness. Grass was beneath my feet and Daddy's face was bursting with joy beside me, his eyes urging me to look.

Shielding my eyes from the winter sun, I looked past him and almost fell to the ground instantly. The image from my memory, from my fondest dreams, stood in front of my eyes.

My house. Leering off-balance, sprouting from the brush, turreting into the sky. It stood as it always had. The trim was brightened by paint and the matte brown shingles were overlaid like scales. The front door was embedded in the body of the house and the windows sparkled.

I raced forward, my feet stumbling in the freshly overturned soil. I almost tripped on the steps, falling against the door and pushing on the handle. The fresh, earthy smell wafted at me as I ran over the threshold. The floorboards shimmered with a newfound lustre. The mirrors lining the walls reflected my dumbfounded expression. Every teacup,towel, pot, spatula, gardening tool and utensil that I knew cluttered the kitchen. The table was adorned with its vibrant pink cloth. The walls encompassing me exhaled their colours onto my skin. The staircase looped up into the ceiling. I climbed it with a clatter and emerged at the top of the house. I looked up. Above me, Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny and Neville smiled, their eyes creased and cheeks dimpled. Their breath was warm as their faces shined gold. Beside my bed, my mother reached out from the wall. Her hair flew behind her and her eyes yearningly smiled.

Behind me, Daddy mounted the stairs.

"It's all back," I cried, throwing myself into his arms.

"Happy Christmas, Luna," he chuckled into my hair.

"I love you," I told him, pulling out of his grasp.

"I love you to the moon and back," he replied, patting my shoulder as his eyes traced the room, as taken aback as I was. I saw him lock onto the image of Mum on the wall and he smiled with a fond sadness.

"I got you a present," I said. "It's in my trunk."

"Now, now, there's no need for that." His crystal eyes returned to me. "I've got something else to tell you. If it's appropriate, we're going to spend Christmas Day with the Weasleys."

And we did. I settled into my new home. Well, my new old home. Once again, I was surrounded my by belongings, everything that I had grown up with and cherished. When the big day came, Daddy and I crested the hill, our arms laid down with huge dishes of roast vegetables and flowers.

The Weasleys pulled out an extra table to provide for all the newcomers. Harry was there, submerged in all the activity as usual. Hermione, too, bringing along her parents. Ron and Ginny were thrilled and content, teasing each other mindlessly. Bill was there, holding onto the hand of Fleur. I couldn't help but notice that her slender frame was swelling slightly around the middle. Percy came with a convivial and outgoing woman called Audrey. She truly contrasted his personality. Charlie was there, too, his shaggy hair growing even wilder. Adromeda Tonks arrived and engrossed Harry with the entertainment of his growing god son. George smiled at all the company, endlessly engaging conversation with those around him. Arthur chronicled a never-ending assortment of bemusing tales to anyone who would listen. Molly weaved through the gathered crowd, taking pinches of food to sample and finding any excuse to complain good-naturedly.

Christmas had never been so full and fun. I couldn't imagine spending it with a better group of people.

Surrounded by love, my father, my friends and my second family, I, for once, was truly happy.