CHAPTER 10 ~ DON'T HURT ANYONE

- Serena -

We ran out and saw the woman foaming up on the floor, the daughter kneeling and shaking her mother to get up. 

Roxanne and I rushed over to help, Ben crashed in and absorbed the situation in front of him. 

I don't know what to do, I held the little girl to me as she cried her eyes out while Roxy tried to hold her mother up.

Ben ran round the counter to grab a bunch of kitchen towels. He watched the lady and looked at me, "She's having a seizure Serena."

Blood oozed out the sides of her mouth and the little girl clung onto me tighter while Ben helped to clean the floor. Roxanne wiped the foam off her body and she accidentally pulled the lady's sleeves up, exposing the terrible cuts and bruises on both her arms.

She looked at me and we shared a look, what happened to her?

"How long has she been like this?" Ben asked and glanced at his watch.

I shook my head, unsure how long has passed.

"About five minutes," Roxanne answered.

Ben fished his phone out and called the ambulance.

The ambulance sounded from outside within minutes and the paramedics brought a stretcher in, quickly lifting the mother on it and loading her onto the vehicle.

"I'll come over to the hospital later, you and Ben accompany her daughter in the ambulance," Roxanne instructed and I nodded.

The paramedics let Ben, the daughter and I climb on.

Ben filled the people in charge in on what happened and I answered some questions though my mind was mostly blank.

Was this lady abused? She looked horribly sick. Now that her sleeves were rolled up, I could see how skinny she was. 

The daughter hugged onto me, staring at her unconscious mother. 

"Are you okay?" I squeezed her tiny shoulders slightly and she shivered, nodding.

I took a deep breath, I had to calm my core down. My hands were really chilly and I didn't even realise it.

"Are any of you related to this lady?" One of the paramedics asked us and I nodded.

"This girl is her daughter," I gestured to the five year old and they smiled at her kindly.

"Your mummy will be fine, we'll take care of her. Do you know your mummy's name?" The paramedic asked and the little girl nodded.

"Tasha," she whispered.

"What's her last name sweetie?" She pressed and the girl leaned into me, not wanting to answer.

"Tasha Rodriguez," Ben mumbled and I stared at him. He knew her?

The paramedic gave him an odd look but brushed it off the moment we arrived at the hospital.

They wheeled her in while I held the girl's hand and approached Ben, "You know that lady?"

He stiffened and ran a hand through his hair, "Kind of, I met her once back in my old town."

I eyed him, "You met her once and you remember her name off the top of your brain. That's impressive." 

He could sense my sarcasm, but didn't mention more. The little girl kept staying behind me and I realised she was hiding not because of her mother's condition, but because of Ben.

Ben gave her a look, his eyes staring holes into her soul and she started tearing up.

"Ben, she's frightened, she's scared. Stop looking at her like that," I snapped at him and he glanced up at me, challenging me.