CHAPTER 13 ~ NEVER LET GO

- Serena -

Ben was calling me. I couldn't move.

Both sides of my body hurt, the left from the car bumping into me and the right from the impact when I fell on the ground.

My ankle was sore and I felt Ben's warm touch around my body as he shouted for help.

I wanted to tell him I was fine, but the ache I felt throughout my body was draining my energy.

It wasn't a big accident, the driver was cruising and bumped into me hard enough to make my ribs hurt a little upon contact.

I had to force my eyes open, Ben's breath was coming in gasps. He looked worried as hell.

"Serena! Oh God are you okay? Fucking hell, someone call an ambulance!"

"Ben shut up, let me help her. She doesn't seem that badly hurt," I felt Roxanne hold me and she brushed my hair away from my sweaty face.

I groaned in pain as the impact in my head pounded and my ankle started swelling.

"Serena, can you hear me? We're taking you to Ben's apartment, it isn't far from here," Roxy gently held my head and supported my back at the same time.

I nodded slightly, suddenly unaware of how I ended up here. I could hear a repetitive annoying thud and saw Austin calming Felicia on the truck. Where did Ben go?

"BEN STOP! HE'S BLEEDING!" Austin yelled at him and the noise stopped.

I pushed myself to sit up, Roxy helping to steady me.

I pressed my hand to my head, letting the cold ease the pain.

"I'm sorry dude, I didn't see her! She came out of nowhere!" I heard a muffled voice and realised Ben was holding the driver by his collar.

"YOU SHOULD HAVE LOOKED WHERE SHE WAS GOING!" He shouted at him and Austin pulled Ben to get him to release his grip from the poor guy's neck.

"Ben?" My voice came out in less than a whisper but he looked at me immediately and ran over.

"Get her in the truck Ben, we'll meet you at your apartment after we settle everything here," Roxanne handed me to him and he picked me up in his arms easily.

He walked to the truck and I glanced at the driver, his nose bleeding and face bruised. Austin was talking to him and Roxanne went over.

I looked up at Ben, his face distraught. I reached out and touched his cheek, "Ben I'm fine. You didn't have to beat the guy up."

That was all I managed to say, I felt my core churn and the chill flowed through my body to calm me down. I quickly pulled away from him and he hugged me closer to him.

"Stop talking Serena, I'll keep you safe."

Ben placed me in the truck next to Felicia and she was crying her eyes out. She clung onto me the moment she had the chance and I patted her head, holding her close to me.

"What happened to you?" I whispered and she pressed her face onto my body.

Ben drove off, his eyes scanning over us and the road. I sighed and brushed my fingers lightly across Felicia's face. She dozed off almost immediately after her wailing scene ended.

I leaned back, realising blood was running down my arm because I scrapped the rough road when I fell.

"We're almost home," Ben mumbled and I turned to him.

"Why did you beat the driver up?" I asked airily.

He glanced at me, his eyes burning through me, "He knocked into you Serena, you got hurt."