CHAPTER 17 ~ ASSASSIN

- Serena -

My ankle was giving me a hell of a time.

I had to cover it with ice just to stop it from giving out when I walked.

"Don't hold us up Serena, timing is critical. Get ready for a fight, I want to settle this fast," Shawn cast a glance over at me and Ben glared at him.

"She hurt her ankle Shawn, cut her some slack."

It was only the three of us storming over to our positions because the rest of Shawn's men were already there and ready.

But we couldn't go any faster because of me and the worst part was, Shawn wasn't letting anyone help me.

"Then she should have thought of that before jumping off the truck in a pair of heels," Shawn rolled his eyes and even after all this time, I felt my heart break.

Where was the brother that actually cared for me?

"You know what, I'm staying with Serena. Screw your plan and whatever crap, I'm staying by her side till this fight is over," Ben reached out to me and held my waist, holding me up and easing the ache from my ankle.

I gladly leaned on him and let him support most of my weight, at least Ben cares.

Shawn spun around and stared at us, his eyes darting to where Ben's arm was wrapped around my waist and groaned, "Fine, stay with her but at your positions. I have to go, they're expecting me."

Shawn went off down the dark path and emerged on the other end, turning right towards the waters.

"Where are we supposed to be stationed?" I asked Ben and he turned to me.

He pointed up and I realized he meant up on the stacked up containers.

"How are we supposed to get up there?" I gestured to my ankle and he smiled.

"Okay Serena I'm going to teach you a little trick. You can control your ice though, right?"

I rolled my eyes, "Ben, I'm not as weak as you think."

He chuckled and nodded, "I know just checking."

He shushed me before I could argue and he pointed his palm towards the ground, "Ah right you gotta stand on your own for this, I might burn you."

I pulled away from him and stood aside to watch him.

A circle of fire appeared on the ground that he was standing on, bright, red, beautiful glowing flames.

Then he caught my gaze and gave me a boyish grin, "Now raise your hands upwards and pull the flames up. I mean your ice."

And I saw him float above the ground a few inches and I gasped.

"We can fly?!" I screeched and he laughed.

He landed back on the ground and the fire fizzled out, "Well we can control our elements. I can control fire, so I can control it to make me fly.

So for you, it's the same thing, just ice."

I looked at my hands, "I never thought of that before."

He nodded and held my hands in his, "Just focus, concentrate on what you want and let it do it's work."

I looked up at him, his eyes warm and earnest. For now, I wanted him.

"Go on, give it a try," he stepped away from me and I shook my arms to relieve the tension I didn't know I was feeling.

I closed my eyes, focus.