CHAPTER 19 ~ LOVE IS A PAIN

- Benjamin -

Wait what?

Shawn rolled his eyes like I was the dumbest thing he's ever seen, "Of course she will have a hard time to decide who to save. She loves you you idiot. You should've seen the look on her face when she realised she'd hurt you. I've never seen her like that before, she looked like she'll give you her life if she-"

Shawn stopped abruptly and stared out the window while I tried to absorb the information he just shot at me.

Serena loves me?

I glared at Shawn, "How the hell would you know that she loves me?"

Yes it was a stupid question.

I chickened out when I was confessing to her in the van. I don't just like her. Who am I kidding?

I felt it, but I never really wanted to acknowledge the fact. She was too beautiful, too daring, too fierce, too cold, she was too much for me.

The way she leaned towards me, too close for comfort, her full glossy lips beckoning me to do it.

To kiss her.

I felt my heart ache for some reason, why didn't I kiss her?

"She looks at you the same way Tasha looks at me. The way she gazes or even glances at you, she definitely loves you. You love her too, it's too obvious bro."

I raised an eyebrow, my face flaring red, were my feelings towards Serena so noticeable?

"You and Tasha? What the fuck dude? You fell in love with the gang leader's wife?" I managed to dodge the revelation thrown at me and divert it back to him.

Shawn rubbed the back of his neck, some sort of red creeping on his cheeks, "Technically she isn't legally married to Tyronne so it doesn't count-"

I held my hand up to stop him right there, "She was still our previous boss' wife. Yes he's dead but still-"

I sighed, why was it so hard to talk to him?

"Ben, I love her. I didn't mean for it to happen, it just did. After Tyronne took over he kept putting her in my care, she's lovely.

It's impossible not to develop feelings for someone after spending so much time with them. I fell in love with her, I'll admit it. I'm guessing ever since Tyronne started suspecting us he got into abusing her and transferred me to do work elsewhere so we couldn't meet.

That was when I found out even more about him. It wasn't just weapons Ben, he was smuggling drugs as well. He even used some of it on Tasha. The marks all over her body, she could have died dude."

I watched him slowly come out of his shell, revealing everything that he kept from us. His feelings, his plans, his lover.

We all knew that Tyronne took Tasha and Felicia in after our previous boss passed away. Thinking about it now, that night at the dock, Tyronne was obsessed over his "wife". Maybe one of his goal other than being boss was to get Tasha too.

He glanced up at me after staring at the floor for a moment, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you anything about it, but there's so much drama involved. I just wanted to get Tasha out of there."

I shook my head, "Still it would've been nice if you told us what was going on, Serena and I were literally thrown into a fight out of nowhere. We did it just so you wouldn't screw with our friends and Felicia."

He nodded, "I apologise Ben, I should have trusted you to help me out bro."

"Shawn I am not your bro, you broke the bro code the moment you decided to not tell me anything. You gotta earn that respect again. Plus Serena and I helped you regardless of how much of a dick head you were being.

I'm glad she gave you that kick across your dumb face," I made my way out of the bed, struggling with my frozen leg.

Shawn moved aside for me to reach the door and I raised an eyebrow at him, "Let's go see her then."

A small smirk appeared on his face but it didn't touch his eyes, "Of course."

The aura around him felt off, but I didn't want to push him too much. I bet he has his own load of shit to handle.

Shawn walked ahead of me, leading the way down a corridor of wards with doctors walking about. Was Serena hurt too?

What exactly took place after I blacked out?

We stopped outside a ward, in front of the door. Shawn had a pained look on his face but he forced a stupid smile, "I uh, I have to warn you. I'm not sure if she recalls what happened. They're still keeping her in check, she seemed to have lost some parts of her memory."

I stared at him, "What? How?"

He took a deep breath, his pale face exhausted and bright blonde hair tousled messily, "Doctor said it was stress. The fight overwhelmed her."

I closed my eyes and pressed my temples, "How much of her memory did she lose?"

Shawn wasn't looking at me, her condition must be bad, "For starters she can't remember me. I feel like karma is striking back at me for treating her like that after our supposed reunion."

Oh no. She can't even remember her own brother?

"Hold it together in front of her, I'm happy enough to have her here. The bullet she took for you nearly killed her."

I felt my jaw hit the ground, "What?!"

He eyed me, "You don't remember? I guess you passed out by then. After she blew her frost your way, Tyronne wanted to shoot the both of us. I managed to dodge it, but she shielded you from the bullet."

My legs felt weak, the heat in me spreading throughout my body.

She risked her life for me.

The door opened and Austin popped out, his eyes widening upon seeing me.

"Oh my God Ben! You're awake! Dude we were so worried!" He gave me an over enthusiastic manly hug and the air in my lungs came out of me in a rush.

I slapped his back roughly, trying to shift his weight away from my frozen side, "Okay okay I got it. I'm fine."

I pulled away and saw a pair of silvery blue eyes watching me from the crack of the door.

Serena held my gaze, her bright crystal eyes holding me captive. She could see into my soul if she wanted to. I'll gladly let her.

Austin moved away and let me go into the room.

It was freezing cold. Shawn must have gotten some special permission to have such drastic and abnormal temperatures in our own ward.

Roxanne was sitting next to Serena on a chair beside the bed she was resting on.

She seemed fine, she looked alright. Her blonde hair silky and shiny, her lips full and glossy, but something was missing. Her eyes were lacking something.

Serena watched me, then cocked her head to the side, "Yes?"

Recognition.

She doesn't remember me.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~
A/N: This is the second part of their discussion in the chapter before this. Sorry for the lack of Serena and Ben action but I promise they will be back with more!