Chapter 10

GOAL: 50 READS, 5 VOTES

-

It was now the time for winter break. I had just finished giving my last exam when the bell rang, signalling our freedom.

Everybody in the 'group' had planned to meet at the mall, with the boys and girls then separating to do our shopping for the Snow Ball, held by Stephen's parents.

I can't believe the Ball is next week, and that it's already been a month since all this began.

I grabbed some books from my locker (not that I'd be needing them) and walked towards the parking lot, waiting for Jamie and Mckenzie so we could leave.

Since they were taking so long I decided to get out my phone and play a quick game of colour switch, when I noticed Connor out of the corner of my eye.

"Hey Sha," he called," Want me to take you home? You look pretty weird standing out here on your own."

I could just feel the taunt laced within his voice, something that's rather unusual with Connor.

"No thanks Nor," I replied in confusion, "I'm just waiting for Jamie and Kenzie so we could head to the mall with Stephen and his friends."

"Yeah, I heard about that."

He sounded so weary of the subject that it was starting to put me off.

"Nor, is something wrong?"

"Nah, not at all." He replied with such ease that for a moment I actually believed him. "You just finish off your shopping and then you can show me your dress when you get home, I can't wait to see it."

I nodded, we waved our goodbyes and he walked away. That was strange

I didn't have time to ponder over the matter because Jamie pulled up in front of me and beckoned me to get in, but I made a mental note to ask Connor about that later.

"We don't have all day Birdie!" Jamie shouted.

I had a sidelong smile while getting in the back seat of Jamie's Ford.

"Let's see what's on the radio," Mckenzie piped from the passenger seat as we drove away from school.

All of us instantly recognized the song as There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back by Shawn Mendes, my all-time favourite singer and biggest celebrity crush.

By now my side smile turned into a wide grin from ear to ear since I knew what was coming next... Our very own Carpool Karaoke.

"OH I'VE BEEN SHAKING, I LOVE IT WHEN YOU GO CRAZY," the three of us sang at the top of our lungs.

"YOU TAKE ALL MY INHIBITIONS, BABY THERE'S NOTHING HOLDIN' ME BACK!!" The next part was all on me since I was the biggest Mendes Army right now AND Jamie & Mckenzie say I'm a good singer (I don't believe them)

"YOU TAKE ME PLACES THAT TEAR UP MY REPUTATION, MANIPULATE MY DECISIONS, BABY THERE'S NOTHING HOLDIN' ME BA-A-ACK!!"

Jamie & Mckenzie were clapping as hard as they could while I took a mini-bow.

"Gosh, isn't listening to Shawnie just so refreshing after an exam? The only thing that could make this better is if they played Why Don't We after this."

"Totally agree with you on that Birdie, my boys are gonna go HUGE one day," said Jamie.

We reached the mall parking lot and found a spot close to the entrance.

"Ok, so Jasmine just texted and she said everybody's waiting in the food court for us, so let's go there."

Making our way to the food court I spotted everybody sitting on a large. round table near the edge of the court.