Diverse: Chapter 2

[y/n pov.]

I knock on the door...

I wait a second, ans when the door opens a boy with dark curly hair smiles. He is really good looking... But I read stories where the good looking ones turn out to be cheaters and liars. So I shove any romantic thought of his charming looks out of my mind.

"Uhh... Miss? Are you Okay? You must be y/n.. Hello" He said, but I must of been day dreaming.

"What? Oh yeah I'm okay. Uhh.. I didn't catch your name." I say as I regain myself.

"Gilbert Blythe. You must be y/n y/l/n correct?" He smiles. What a wonderful smile he has... Stop it y/n!!

"Yes that's me. Nice to meet you." I state as we shake hands.

"Come on in! Mrs. McCauley and Mrs. Y/l/n made a wonderful dinner." Gilbert says as I enter and admire the atmosphere of this luxurious home.

"You call your Mother by her Madame name?" I ask Gilbert as we walk into the living area of the home.

"Oh she's not my mother. I work for her. I do chores for her. My mother died from an illness a year ago. I live with my father near the school house." Gilbert explains as we take a seat on the floral couch.

"Sorry for your loss" I say sorrowfully.

Mother and Sara come in after a minute or 2, and I hand both of them the flowers I picked. I realize I didn't have any for Gilbert, so I take off a daisy from my flower crown and hand him it.

"Thank you all very much for inviting me. Im honored to be here." I smile.

"Thank you very much y/n! I'm glad to have you here" Sara grins. I look over at mother and I'm not surprised to see her throw the flowers away. Why did she invite me at all?

"Its very kind of you to give me one." Gilbert smiles.

"Your all very welcome." I nod.

"Well dinner will be ready soon. You and Gilbert sit tight." Sara says as she goes back into the kitchen with mother.

Why did my mother invite me? She hates my guts. Maybe Sara convinced her too? Sara seems very kind indeed. I don't understand why mother hates me so much. I try to be the best daughter I can...

"Are you Okay? You look sad." Gilbert says with a concerned look.

"Oh I'm alright. Its just a family thing." I try to smile.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Gilbert asks. He puts a hand on my shoulder. I shiver at his touch. He must notice my face go pale because he removes his hand. 

"Well I would but if mother found out she would make me sleep in the barn again." I say, and I think I said to much.

"What? Your moth-" Gilbert immediately stops talking when Mother and Sara come in.

"Dinner is ready! Y/n go wash your face now! You are filthy!" Mother says sternly. I look at Gilbert and see sympathy in his eyes. I go to the kitchen and rinse my face.

When I enter the dining room Gilbert pats to the seat next to him. When I sit down I start eating and the chatter between Sara and Mother begins.

"So Madeline do you want to tell y/n the surprise now?" Sara says to my mother. I look up in shock. A surprise? For me? From my Mother? No. Never. Impossible.

"A surprise?" I manage to say.

"Well yes. Hasn't Your mother told you that's why your here?" Sara asks me.

I shake me head no, "No she hasn't. Is there really a surprise?" I ask hopefully.

I look at mother who nods. "Yes, and Gilbert here is going to help you with it. Since you have never been there before." Mother says. What is it? Is it a castle? A magic kingdom?

"What is it?" I ask really excitedly.

"Well I have been thinking, and I think we should send you to the schoolhouse near Gilbert's house. I think you are responsible enough." Mother smiled. Wait! MOTHER SMILED! I pinch myself to see if I'm dreaming. OWE! I'm not dreaming!

I instantly jump out of my chair, "Thank you! Thank you! I'm so very happy!" I basically scream.

I look at mom and judging by her facial expression in going to be sleeping in the barn. I sit down instantly.

"Sorry I got excited. Thank you so much, and Gilbert are you going to walk me there or something?" I ask.

"Well yes I'll walk you there, and you will have a seat next to me so I can help you with your work. Though I think you will be good by yourself in reading and writing." He smiles at me. My heart melts a little.

After dinner mother tells Gilbert to walk me home. I thank everyone once again. Before we leave mom whispers in my ear, "Straight to the barn with you, and you will have no breakfast and more chores tomorrow." I shake my head and leave with Gilbert.

We talk on the way. "What did your mother say to you? Your face turned pale again." Gilbert asks concerned.

"I'm sleeping in the bar tonight, and I get no breakfast, and a lot of chores tomorrow" I say as if I'm used to it.

"What did you do exactly?" he asks.

"I actually don't know. She just does it for no reason sometimes. No point in arguing... It makes it worse." I say.

He nods, and looks down as if he's in thought.

"Well I'll see you soon for school." he States when we get to my house. I wave goodbye and walk to the barn.

I try to get comfortable in the hay, but there's no use. I think about Gilbert until I finally fall asleep.