Diverse: Chapter 3

[Y/n pov.]

I think about Gilbert until I finally fall asleep...

At what I think is 3 in the morning I hear a shuffling of the hay. I awaken with a startle, and calmly reach out for a broomstick nearby that I'll attempt for the use of a weapon against the mysterious withered sound.

"Whoa there?" I manage to call out in a shaky voice. I tighten the grip around the broomstick as I move closer to the shuffling in the hay.

"It's me!" A familiar voice beams out. I then realize it's Gilbert. I drop the broomstick.

"What are you doing here? Are you okay?" I ask as I move in the pitch black dark to where I think I see his silhouette.

"I am here with some blankets and a pillow to make you comfortable for the night. I also have some food so you can eat breakfast. Also I'll help with your chores." He says.

"That very nice of you, but I don't think mother would be happy with this." I say in response.

"I will sneakily help you. Don't worry. I have a plan. Also I'm tired so we ought to go to bed. Or should I say 'We ought to go to hay' haha" I hear him laugh.

"I beg your pardon? Your sleeping here? I really appreciate this but you don't have to punish yourself for the sake of worthless y/n!" I say.

Does he really care for me this much? I have never been loved more. Maybe I should consider his kindness for romance? But I would make a terrible wife. Ugh. I need to sleep on these thoughts...

"You may be worthless to your mother, but you are not worthless to me. We are friends." Gilbert explains as he spreads out a blanket for himself. He then walks over to me and lays out one for me.

"That's the nicest thing anyone has said to me ever. Thank you so much" I smile. Without even thinking I run and hug him. He seemed surprised at first, and then he hugged me back.

"Your welcome y/n." Gilbert whispers. We release from our hug and tuck into bed. I can't sleep now so I turn over and see Gilbert still wide awake.

"Can't sleep?" He mutters.

"Can't sleep." I respond

We lay there starring at each other for a while until​ I finally fall asleep. I dream about the kindness Gilbert showed me.

I wake up later to a tap on my shoulder. Gilbert has a finger over his mouth indicating to be quiet. I nod and he points over to my mother walking in. He quietly grabs the blankets and the food and hides behind a stack of hay.

"Wakeup! Wakeup now y/n!! Get your lazy face down here! You have chores!!" Mother screams.

I walk down and take the list from mother. She smirks her evil smirk at me and pushed me down into the floor.

"Get started you worthless girl! Dad is inside with a cold so you have triple the amount of chores." Mother States as she walks out of the barn.

When mother leaves Gilbert immediately comes rushing toward me. "Are you okay? You are not worthless. She's a nasty women" He says as he helps me up.

I brush myself off, and say "Yes I'm alright and I have a lot of chores!" I say sorrowfully.

Y/n chore list:
1: Brush all 3 horses
2: Feed all 3 horses
3: Brush goat
4:Feed goat
5:Milk goat
6:Milk cow
7:Feed cow
8:Make lunch
9:Clean dishes
10:Water crops
11:Go to town and buy medicine for father

I look up and look at Gilbert. He has a job with Sara... He can't help me! He has his own family sorrow. My problems are too much.

"You can't help. I can do this! Plus don't you have to help Sar- I mean Mrs. McCauley?" I say concerned.

Gilbert furrows his eyebrows, and then takes a deep breath. "Listen y/n... Your so interesting and unique and you don't deserve to suffer through your mother's abuse. And didn't your Mother say that your father is sick? That's terrible. I need to help you. Also Mrs.McCauley let me have a day off." He says. He tucks a loose strand of my  messy French braid behind me ear.

"Gilbert but you don't ha-" I was cut off.

"I'm helping you. Lets eat breakfast and sort out the chores" He lays down a blanket and we both take a seat.

"So there are 11 chores so I will do 5 you will do 5 and then we will work together on the last one. Also have some goat cheese and milk I brought" Gilbert says.

"Okay well I'll I'll do 8,9, and 10 because I don't want mother to see you." I say in thought.

"Okay I'll do 1-5 and then we do the 11th one together last?" Gilbert says. I agree.

"Yes so I'll do numbers 6-10, and 11 we do together."I state as I eat my last piece of Goat cheese.

To be continued...