Diverse: Chapter 6

[Gilberts pov.]

Y/n shows her evil mother what I bought her. I know what your thinking... You don't buy things for people to make them like you. No this is not the case. Her mother abuses her, and some days she doesn't even EAT. So I'm buying her because she needs it, and because she deserves it. She deserves to be loved, and I'm trying to show her affection by being her friend.

Her mother pretends to care, but all she really cares about is the money I gave her. She take smiles and she fake laughs, and little does she know that I know what she does when nobody is around. She doesn't feed her, forces her to sleep outside, and even beats her with a belt. How cruel? I'm happy my parents never treated me like that.

"Oh Gilbert my daughter is so happy! You are amazing! Oh y/n You will look so good in those shoes...." Her mother lies.

"Oh your very welcome Mrs. Y/l/n! It's the best I could do since I have money and you obviously do not." I say without thinking. Her fake smile curves into an evil frown. Why did I say that? I'm such an idiot! Its not even true... I don't have that much money.

"Thanks very much Gilbert, but it's time for y/n to go to bed. Let me show you to the door!" Mrs. Y/l/n States as she leads me to the door. When I step out I holler to y/n, "See you in school y/n" before her mother slams the door in my face. Asshole.

I walk home and see father working in garden. He smiles when he sees me approach. "Hey Gilbert! How was your day" he asks as I walk by. "It was alright" I say, which is my daily response. Everyday he asks me that, and everyday I respond with it was alright. It has become routine for me everyday, and I wander why father even asks it anymore.

"How was your day?"
"It was alright."
"How was your day."
"It was alright."

Some days I'll say "It was just alright" to spice things up a little.

I think about things to much. I obviously over think. About everything. Like how many times my dad says the word "Pardon" per day or how many steps the barn chickens do before I leave the for school.

I walk into the house, and go straight to bed. Today I have been counting the times y/n has smiled at me. 36 tomes I've counted, but what if I missed a few? What if I counted to many? I'll nav at know how many times she smiled at me. I'll never know, and that what bothers me the most.

[y/n pov.]

When I get into bed... (yes mother finally let me sleep in my bed.) I smile at the thought of Gilbert Blythe and how he helped me.

[3rd person]

37.