Chapter 5; No Time

I'm running for my life through a field of corn. All I know is that I need to keep going straight.

Something pinches my shoulders and tries to pick me up.

I scream out for Xander and I feel a pair of hands on my waist. I reach out for him, but I can't. My shoulders hurt too badly.

"Meghan!" I hear someone say.

"Meghan! Please wake up!" I can hear who's calling for me.

It's Xander.

I open my eyes and see him standing over me, shaking my shoulders. "I'm awake. I'm awake. You can stop shaking me now," I say.

"We have to go. Now!" Xander yells.

"Why?" I ask.

"I can't explain now. We just have to go and I'll explain it all when we're safe." Xander starts putting a bag of clothes together.

"What are you doing?" I ask him.

"What does it look like I'm doing? I'm getting a bag of stuff together before we leave." He checks the time on his phone. "We only have a minute left until they come. We have to leave. Now."

Xander drags me out the door and to his truck. "Get in, Meghan. Please."

"Not until you explain to me what the hell is going on," I say.

"Do you trust me?" He asks me.

"Of course I do. I trust you enough to tell me what the hell is going on!"

"Fine!" He sighs at me. "There are people going after you and I'm going to make sure that doesn't happen by taking you to a safe  place! Now let's go!"

"No! Not until you tell me who is coming after me!" I add.

"I can't. We don't have time!"

"What's the big deal?" I ask

"Do you hear that?" Xander asks me.

"Yeah. It sounds like a regular storm."

"It's not. It's a battle and we are slowly losing. This battle is happening because we stole you to keep you safe. And they will kill you if they find you," Xander says.

"Who is 'We' and 'Them'?" I ask.

"The angels of heaven and demons of hell."