Chapter 7; The Compound

I look around at the basement of the old barn to see people or angels or whatever they are swarming all around us. Some of them just look at us and go back to what they were doing, but some of them walk over and hug Xander and share their welcomes.

I get out of the car and I'm greeted by Jared. "Nice to see you finally made it," he says to me.

"Sure," I say while holding my head in my hands.

"You okay?" He asks.

"Sure, I guess. Just a little light headed. Nothing I can't handle," I say, moving my hand.

It's bloody.

"Medic!!" Jared yells at someone. "I need help over here!" He yells even louder.

All of the sudden I see someone run in our direction.

"What's the matter?" A kid says. She can't be more than 15.

"Her forehead is bloody," Jared says.

"I'm tired," I yawn.

"Don't go to sleep!" They both yell at me.

"But it's so hard to stay awake.." I say.

"Here, just keep talking to me. We never really legitimately got to know each other back in high school, so let's just talk. Okay?" He nervously rambles.

"Okay," I repeat. "You go first."

"Well, believe it or not, I'm an angel." He says.

"Oh yeah, by the way, why am I here? Xander said something about angels and demons fighting over me. What's that all about?"

"I'll explain that later. Just keep talking."

"Okay. Where is Xander? Can you tell him that I'm here.. wherever 'here' is?"

"Sure, but later."

"Minor concussion. That's all. Her cut isn't anything too major. Just keep a good eye on her." The teenage girl says.

"Okay, thank you doctor." Jared responds.

"Can I go to sleep now?" I ask. "I'm just super tired."

"Yes, you can sleep now, but I'll be here the whole time, watching over you," Jared explains.

I giggle, "Okay, guardian angel." I can't help but laugh at my own joke.

He chuckles, "I guess you can call me that."