Prologue

Then

"Yes, I am fine. No, Cadmus has done nothing to me. And no, there hasn't been an alien invasion . . . yet."

Lena put a hand over her mouth, snickering when she heard her best friend come down the hall. Ever since Kara had come clean to her about being Supergirl, she had heard these conversations once or twice. And she still had yet to understand exactly why these calls took place every week right on the dot.

"Tell Slade I wish him luck finding Joe," Kara said as she entered Lena's office, her phone to her ear. "Next week? Got it. Bye, Oliver."

"Boyfriend?" Lena teased.

"Who, Oliver?" Kara blinked. "Oh, no. No, no, no, that's not happening."

"He keeps in contact enough," Lena pointed out.

"Oh," Kara sighed as Lena finished shutting down her computer, ready to go have lunch with her. "Well . . . I kind of helped him out a few weeks back, and since then, we've been keeping in contact with each other. You know, updates and stuff like that."

Lena nodded, starting to understand. "Same line of work, it sounds like."

"Yeah," Kara sighed, nodding as they walked out. "Except he . . . kind of lives in a different universe."

"Excuse me?" Lena blinked.

"That's why it's not as often," Kara nodded, showing Lena her phone. "But ever since I told him about Cadmus, he's been more concerned."

"My dearest mother," Lena rolled her eyes. "He's right to be worried, Kara. I haven't heard from her, and that can't be good."

"I'm being careful, Lena, I promise," Kara insisted.

"I know you are," Lena sighed. "But really, Kara . . . this could end extremely badly for you. It doesn't hurt to have help on standby."

"I know," Kara nodded, biting her lip. "And I trust Oliver enough for that."

"Sounds like a good man," Lena nodded as they entered the elevator.

"He is," Kara smiled. "One of the best."

***

Oliver hung up from talking with Kara, hearing a snort behind him. "From what your sister told me, it sounds like you put more effort into those calls than your duties as mayor."

"It's something Kara told me about before she left," Oliver turned in his seat to look at Slade. "She mentioned it once, like it was no big deal, but it's something that keeps worrying me."

"What is it?" Slade asked, tilting his head.

"An anti-alien organization on her Earth," Oliver answered. "I think she called it Cadmus. Yeah, Cadmus," he nodded, remembering. "It was a small mention, like I said, but there was something else she said that put me on guard. She said they had a device that, originally, would fill the atmosphere with something that would kill her and her cousin immediately."

Slade scowled. "That didn't actually happen, right?"

"No," Oliver shook his head. "But I keep thinking what could happen if Cadmus used something even remotely similar again." He sighed. "It took me nearly losing everyone to reach out for help, and even then, it was almost not enough. I'm just worried Kara won't ask, and it could lead to her getting seriously hurt or killed."

"If there is ever a break in those messages, you'll have your answer," Slade nodded to his phone. "The moment you think the pattern breaks, that's when you need to check on her."

"Hopefully, that never has to happen," Oliver said grimly, but nodded. "Kara also said good luck finding Joe."

"Thank you," Slade nodded. "Keep in mind, kid, if you ever need to go over . . . you're not the only one that owes her."

Oliver smirked. "Noted, Slade."

He chuckled and headed out the door, Oliver putting his phone back on his desk. Sometimes, he thought to himself as he went back to his computer, it was a huge disadvantage to have a friend over thirty Earths away.

***

And just a small look into the beginning of the book. :)

And that is weird . . . does weird coding appear for anyone else when they're copying and pasting from outside of Wattpad? Because I had to change every apostrophe and quotation mark back to edit all the weird . . . stuff.

But, oh well! Chapter one should be coming up next!