Chapter One

Bit of a time skip here. :) This is the real start of the story, all!

Enjoy chapter one!

***

Now 

Three Months Later

Thea walked into her brother's office and raised an eyebrow when she noticed him not paying attention to his computer at all. Instead, he was looking out the window, looking as distracted as her brother could get. "What's up?" she asked.

Oliver turned in his chair to look at her. "Two weeks," he told her.

"What?"

"Two weeks since Kara and I last spoke," he elaborated.

Thea grinned. "Are you sure she's not your girlfriend?"

"Thea," he gave her a look.

"OK," she held up her hands innocently, sitting on the edge of his desk. "So it's been two weeks. What's the big deal about that?"

"Ever since Kara's been in contact with me, we've stayed that way," Oliver told her. "Every week, we update each other. What's going on with our teams, our enemy of the week, that kind of thing."

"My God, you're certain?"

"Thea!" he snapped, and she held up her hands. "Every week. Same day, usually, too. This is the second week she hasn't contacted me."

"Have you tried calling her back?" Thea suggested as Quentin walked in.

"First thing I did," he nodded.

"What was?" Quentin asked.

"Called Kara," Oliver answered.

"That's right, you said last week she didn't call," Quentin nodded, frowning. "Think something's up?"

"I don't know," Oliver shook his head. "But after having kept up a routine that long, it makes me start to worry."

"Hmm." Quentin handed Oliver a file he'd brought with him. "Laurel's been asking about her, too. Maybe if you decide to go check Earth-38, you could take her with you. She's itching to get out of the house."

"Partly because Laurel Lance is supposed to be dead," Oliver winced, understanding.

"So's Malcolm," Thea nodded. While she and her father had been getting closer, it was still hard to refer to him as her father. That had been Robert Queen before everything with the Gambit had happened. "And while he knows how to stay hidden . . . "

"Maybe," Oliver mused, taking the file. "Thanks, you two."

***

Another week went by. When Oliver tried calling Kara again, he knew something was wrong.

"I expected you to be at the office, kid," Slade mused as he walked out of the elevator into the base. Oliver was at the computer, frowning and looking at his phone. He paused, narrowing his eye. "Something's happened."

Oliver put the phone on the table and pressed a button on it. The dial tone immediately hit. "That's Kara's number," he told Slade. "The last two weeks I've been trying to contact her, it rang before going to voicemail." He looked up at him. "Something happened to her, and if something didn't, I need to know why she's not answering."

"Do you mind taking another?" Slade raised an eyebrow, walking up to him.

"You're sure?" Oliver asked.

"Kid, I owe that girl my life and the second chance she gave me," Slade gave him a look. "I'm sure."

Oliver nodded, then picked up his phone and tried another number. "Hello?" Cisco's voice rang out.