peony

tyler quietly sang cigarette daydreams by cage the elephant in a hushed tone, fingers moving languidly through ryan's hair as he braided the short brown strands. ryan sat between tyler's legs and hummed along, teasingly squeezing right above tyler's knee, getting higher with each squeeze. tyler knew what ryan was doing and he so badly wanted to protest, but if he did that it would mean he would lose his progress on ryan's hair and he couldn't have that happen. he was playing the seven seas with tyler, his favorite thing to do to the smaller boy when he was bored. tyler was extremely ticklish and ryan would purposely play the game with him, knowing he wouldn't get past the second or third squeeze before he was squealing and giggling while he pried ryans's fingers from his thigh.

"r-ryan, st-st-stop," tyler mumbled, trying his best to hold back his laughter. it was no use and with one more squeeze tyler was giggling loudly, pulling on ryan's hair accidentally in surprise as he tried to wiggle away from the tickling.

"ha, you lose!" ryan stuck his tongue out playfully before reaching his hand around to where tyler's fingers were still tugging on his hair. "just don't rip my hair out, please and thank you."

"o-oh, r-r-right." tyler loosened his grip. "s-s-sorry."

"it's okay, honey. i just don't think i'd look too good bald. wha'd'ya think?"

tyler smiled at ryan's goofy behavior. "y-y-you'd l-look l-like an-an e-e-egg."

"but i'd be a cute egg, right?" ryan said, turning his head back around so tyler could continue his braiding.

"th-the c-c-cutest," tyler agreed, finishing up one braid and moving on to start another one. they hadn't known each other for very long but they were inseparable, joined at the hip for lack of a better term, able to trust each other with everything to the point where there were no secrets between the two. ryan knew everything about tyler and tyler knew everything about ryan. it was everything tyler wanted, and more, in a friendship.

"so are you excited to see josh again tomorrow?" ryan asked as he shifted so he could face tyler, putting an end to tyler braiding, resulting in a frown tugging at tyler's bubblegum lips.

"mhm," tyler replied, lacing his fingers together with ryan's, twirling them together and absentmindedly playing with them. "w-we k-kissed e-e-each oth-other's ch-cheeks a-a l-l-lot t-t-today."

"no way!" ryan gasped, watching as tyler's cheeks flooded with rose, grinning widely and displaying the metal on his teeth. "were you comfortable with it?"

"y-yeah, i-i-i w-w-was the-the o-one who-who k-kissed h-him f-f-first."

"good," ryan said. "don't do anything you're not comfortable doing, honey."

"i-i-i kn-know th-th-that, s-silly." tyler scooched closer to ryan and buried his face in the pale expanse of his friends neck, the comforting scent of peaches filling his nose and making him feel at ease. he and ryan were very touchy-feely with each other, many people who saw the two in public most likely thought they were a couple. they constantly held hands, when they weren't their arms were slung around the oppisite's waist, and kisses on cheeks were not uncommon between the two. they were comfortable around each other in every way. but it was all strictly platonic and that was what made their friendship so special.

"so-so d-do y-y-you h-h-have y-your e-eyes on-on an-anyone r-r-right n-n-now?" tyler questioned, pushing ryan back so he was flat on his back and immediately wrapping ryan's arm around him, snuggling close together as he peered up at the older of the two with wide eyes.

"no, not that i can think of," ryan nonchalantly shrugged, running his hands through tyler's fluffy golden waves that sat atop his head. tyler pressed his face into ryan's bare chest, listening to his heart beat as a way to remind himself that he was safe. "are you getting tired, honey?"

tyler yawned and nodded his head, the way ryan was massaging his scalp and the rhythmic beating of his heart quickly lulling him into a hazy mindset and he knew he would be asleep within minutes if his friend continued.

and then ryan began to sing. tyler's mind barely registered the words and tune of art exhibit by young the giant and he smiled, aware that it was ryan's favorite song. ryan's voice was absolutely beautiful and it never failed to bring happiness to tyler's life. it was everything warm and fuzzy. it was cuddling beneath blankets and drinking hot chocolate on cold winter days after coming inside from playing in the snow, tips of noses frost bitten and red. it was picking apples while being surrounded by trees whose leaves were shifting colors, sweaters much too big hanging from torsos and hands engulfed by sweater paws, sipping on apple cider and carving pumpkins. it was sitting on tree stumps with the night sky blanketing everything in view, roasting marshmallows over the fire and making sure it was the perfect shade of golden brown, stuffing it between graham crackers and chocolate as the gooey contents of the s'mores stuck to mouths and fingers. it was the smell of wet concrete after a rain shower on a hot day. it was peanut butter sticking on roofs of mouths. it was everything that brought happiness to tyler's life, and more. tyler could listen to ryan sing for the rest of his life and he would never get tired of it.

ryan's voice began to sound further and further away, fingers still massaging his scalp and the thump, thump, thumping of ryan's heart providing a feeling of security for tyler. he was safe. he was happy.

•••

i switched things up a bit in this chapter and focused on tyler, which i have yet to do in this story. i really enjoyed writing it and i loved delving further into tyler and ryan's friendship :))

i hope you guys liked reading this as much as i liked writing this!!!

and please don't comment about how their friendship seems more than platonic. friendships can be like that without romance involved. my old best friend used to be exactly like that and it was nothing but platonic.

anywho, i love you guys!!
-carina