lily of the valley

tw: physical violence, homophobic slurs

it was a simple trip to the bathroom, that's all. at least that was what joshua was expecting. he didn't think that he would be shoved against a locker, the sharp edge digging into his shoulder and no doubt breaking the skin. he knew who had caused the painful damage as soon as the hands pushed against him. brendon.

joshua knew it was only a matter of time before this happened. it was just him and brendon alone in the empty hallway, no classrooms in sight. this was the spot that tyler was often targeted in.

"brendon, what the fuck is your problem?" joshua seethed, holding his shoulder and pulling his hand back to inspect the blood that had started to seep out of the wound.

"what is my problem? i could ask you the same thing," the raven haired boy snapped back, narrowing his eyes in a predatory fashion. "at least i'm not a fucking faggot."

"are you seriously still caught up about that? what happened to you wanting to be a better person for sarah... for yourself?"

"she wouldn't take me back. it's no use." brendon seemed to sober up for a moment before his eyes flashed with anger, lurching forward as his fist collided with joshua's cheekbone. the blonde haired boy stumbled back, tears welling up in his eyes. he hurt so badly; not in a physical sense, more emotionally than anything.

"why are you taking it out on me? what did i do wrong?" joshua questioned.

"you left me to be a faggot with your little faggot boyfriend," brendon snapped. it all made sense to joshua. brendon was jealous of tyler. he wanted joshua's attention. fuck, why hadn't he noticed that before?

"look, i'm sorry, okay? i got caught up in my relationship and i guess i forgot about everything else."

"fuck you." brendon pounced against joshua and landed punch after punch, the blonde not fighting against it. he knew violence wasn't the answer.

joshua sniffled as the tears began to fall, his vulnerability showing through as he got beat up by one of the only people he trusted.

"what would you do if i told that faggot that this whole thing was a dare, huh? would that make you happy? you could finally be free to be yourself again," brendon grunted, stepping back to observe the blood on his own bruising knuckles.

"no!" joshua yelled, his urgent voice echoing through the hall. "please, i beg you. don't do that."

"and why should i listen to you?"

"because..."

"give me a valid reason, you fucking queer."

"i... i l-lo..."

"his st-stupid st-st-stuttering seemed to have worn off on you," brendon taunted.

"i fucking love tyler, okay? i love tyler." joshua smiled as the words left his mouth. it was his first time saying it out loud and it felt so right. he loves tyler!

for a second it became oddly silent, brendon's face softening as he registered what joshua had said.

"you love him..?"

"yes, i really do," joshua tried to pry the smile off of his face, it wasn't the right time to become all soft for his boyfriend.

"how do you know that you love him?" brendon asked and joshua could see the wheels turning in his mind.

"i don't know how to explain it. he makes me so happy and being with him just feels right, y'know?"

"can i tell you something?" brendon blurted. joshua nodded for him to continue. "i think i love someone..."

the lighter haired boy furrowed his eyebrows in slight confusion. "who?"

brendon gave him a pleading look, as if he was begging for a way out of having to answer.

"i won't make you tell me, but i suggest that you work on yourself. you won't get far with that attitude." and with that joshua was walking back to his classroom, ignoring the throbbing on his face and the curiosity in his mind.

•••

this is very short i'm sorry! i wrote it on the plane this morning while i listened to bts so that was fun.

i may have the flu ://

i love you guys and i hope you're staying healthy!
-carina

i love you guys and i hope you're staying healthy!-carina