Part 16

"Happy birthday!" My mother's soft voice woke me up.
"Uhhh" I groaned.
I opened my eyes and saw my mom smiling at me.
"Good morning sweetie! Breakfast is ready so come downstairs" my mom said as she left my room. I quickly got dressed and brushed my hair and ran downstairs to see what my mom had whipped up today. It was my 19th birthday today.
The scent of bacon filled the air. I sat at the table, across from my brother Aaron. My mom brought over eggs and hash browns and yes, bacon.
"So how did you two sleep?" My mom asked Aaron and I.
"Good" I said
"Horribly" Aaron said.
"Why's that?" My mom asked in her concerned mom voice.
"I just couldn't sleep. My insomnia is acting up again" Aaron replied.
"We'll have to take you to Dr. Ashton again." My mom picked up the phone and called the doctor.
"Okay. Yep. Thank you! See you then." My
Mom hung up.
"Your appointment is in 1 hour." She told Aaron.
"Well can you come with me? I don't wanna go alone" Aaron asked
"Yes. Katherine, you're coming too. I wanna take you guys out for your big day." Aaron and I both groaned. 

~~~~~~~~~~~
"In the car you two." Aaron sat in the front and I layed in the backseat. As we were driving to the doctor's office, an ambulance sped by.
"Wonder what that's about" my mother said. She was always concerned about what emergency vehicles were doing.
"Someone probably died" Aaron said.
Once we got to the doctor's office, we were immediately kicked out and told to hid somewhere safe. My mom quickly sped home as the panic set it to everyone. She turned the radio on.
"A virus causing people to become mindless zombies is spreading at a rapid rate. People are dying, returning to life and turning mindless and cannibalistic. Officials are strongly advising you to in your homes and hide somewhere safe. If you hear anything, do not move from your safe place. Stock food, water and weapons. Trust no one." Static was the only thing on the radio as we arrived home. Aaron, my mom and I quickly rushed inside and locked all the doors and windows. We ran upstairs. Aaron opened the attic. He was climbing up the ladder when we heard the window in my mom's room break. My mom's room was right next to the attic entrance. I was quickly rushing up the ladder as I saw a bloody hand grab my mom. Death screams filled the air. I screamed and started scream-crying. Aaron grabbed my hand and lifted me into the attic. Aaron kicked the ladder down and shut the door.
"MOM!!!" I kept screaming while Aaron held me in his arms. He was rubbing my back and telling me we were going to be okay.
I didn't get any sleep at all. Neither did Aaron. We were both comforting each other and crying. Our father had died of heart cancer. And now our mother had been cannibalized. Now all we had was each other, 5 bottles of water and 3 cans of food to last us an apocalypse.

~~~~~~~~~
"I need to look for some more food and other survivors. I'm sure our house has been raided by now. I'll be back soon. Stay here. Do not move." Aaron said as he kissed my forehead.
"Aaron. No! Don't leave me please!" I yelled as he left.

~~~~~~~~~
When will Aaron return? He hasn't been back in 3 weeks.
I'm going to die