12. Chapter - The Nightmare

OLIVER's POV

Had you ever experienced a time when you thought nothing could get worse, and your whole life was a big disaster that ruined your every chance on happiness? No? Then consider yourself lucky because I was experiencing it at the moment, and the only thing I could think about was running away and hiding somewhere dark, where no one could find me. How could a day go so wrong in a blink of an eye? Just a minute ago, I was humming, happy, and looking forward to going home so I could see Matt and Josh and enjoy the evening with them. Now, my stomach hurt, my head started to spin, and I felt my whole body tremble at the sight in front of me.

Reaching for the door behind me, trying to turn and leave before the person noticed me, my eyes widened, cold feeling engulfing my whole body, when our eyes met. I always thought I was over the terrible past I lived through. I had Matty, found new love even though I thought I would never fall in love with anyone ever again, and I just accepted my lover's proposal to marry him in the future. There was no place for some fucker from past to occupy my mind.

So why were all the horrible memories surfacing at one sight of him? Why did I feel so sick and scared when I saw him sitting behind the bar counter, staring right back at me with wide, angry eyes? Why did he have such an impact on me even though I was in love with someone else? He was a history, a terrible nightmare that ended years ago. Why did he have to appear now? I was really starting to think that whoever was up there, looking after us, humans, hated me with burning passion.There was no other explanation for this situation.

Taking a deep breath, trying to calm down the trembling controlling my body, I looked away, searching the shop to see if Mel was managing somehow. I sure hoped she was because Charlie wasn't in a state to work in the front, and I wouldn't force him to do it. I was his friend and boss. I had to take care of my employees; even if it meant I would have to stay there and work instead of him. Though I would rather not right now.

Noticing Melanie just few steps away from Victor, I decided to ignore him for the time being and went straight to her. She looked kind of uncomfortable, her face paler than usual, making her freckles stand out even more. She looked so beautiful with her big green eyes and the messy bun of red hair on her head; almost like a forest fairy.

"What happened?" I asked, whispering, but after the scene that took place just few minutes ago, the shop was unusually quiet so everything was audible. I could feel everyone staring at us, and it felt extremely awkward and uncomfortable. There weren't that many customers, just eight, from what I saw, but it was still enough to make one want to jump out of window.

"Ollie! Thank God! The prick that's sitting behind you started to yell at Charlie the moment he saw him, and poor Charlie didn't take it well and run away. He was just preparing the order I gave him, and it ended up broken. I already cleaned it but they are waiting for it. I would love for you to kick his ass out but, right now, there are four coffees that need to be done, and I need help! It's the Irish Night coffee, and you know I always mess it up," Mel whined, dramatically waving her hands, shooting daggers at Victor's back. She looked seriously pissed and considering I never saw her in this state, it had to be really bad.

Though I wanted to do exactly the same thing she mentioned, feeling somehow delighted with just the imagination of kicking Victor out, I just smiled weakly and patted her shoulder.

"I'll take care of it. Charlie needs few minutes to himself, and I'm done in the kitchen anyway. I'll just bring the cake I finished so the regulars know it's here. Take four blueberry muffins and give it to the customers as an apology for the delayed order." Nodding, Melanie hurried to take the muffins, and I quickly turned, going to the kitchen to get the cake.