38. Chapter - Manipulated

VICTOR's POV

I knew I fucked up. I knew I shouldn't have kissed him and take advantage of the fact he let his guard down. We were going to be back at square one again, and he was probably going to be even more alert around me. As much as I wanted to get him back and have him in my arms again, it was not the right time just yet. But even so, I couldn't bring myself to regret it. His lips were perfect, just the way I remembered them, and I could still feel the sensation on mine. It was so nostalgic it felt surreal.

Grinning, I slowly walked back to my car. I had to stop by a grocery shop on my way back to buy something to eat later in the night. There was some work I had to finish, and I knew myself. I was going to get hungry and having to order something would be annoying and slow. Getting some simple ham sandwich and a piece of cake sounded much more appealing.

Just when I got to the car, my phone started to ring. If it was any other day, I would let it ring and ignore it. But I was in a good mood, so I went against my principles and picked it up. Even I had a special day like this from time to time. 

"McNemara speaking," I answered without looking at the screen, unlocking the car and getting in. I wanted to be back in a hotel as soon as possible, so I could finish the work and get some sleep.

"Good evening, Mr. McNemara. Can I have a minute of your time?" an amused voice of my best friend sounded on the other line, making me roll my eyes. Putting the phone on a speaker, I started the car and pulled out.

"Stop messing around. I didn't check the screen. What do you want?" I asked, wondering why he called so late. He knew me well enough to know I usually ignore anyone who calls after seven in the evening. His actions didn't really make any sense at the moment, but my mind was too occupied by other things to care.

"What do you think? I want to know how it went, of course. I helped you with buying the presents and watched the blanket for you while you went to fetch them. Don't you think I deserve a detailed description of the events? Did it go well? What did Matt say to the presents?" he asked, sounding weirdly excited and concerned at the same time.

I wasn't exactly sure I wanted to talk about everything that had happened, but I could use some time to brag about my son and how much we got along already. As weirdly as it might sounded, I already knew I wouldn't be able to let him go. He was a precious little boy, and I loved every second of the time we spent together.

"I'm on my way back to the hotel now. If everything goes well, I'll be there in around thirty minutes so come over. But in exchange for me talking, you'll help me with some work. I have to finish some papers, and if I am to tell you what happened, I will need some help. I don't want to go to bed at five in the morning." I shuddered at the imagination of it, feeling already exhausted. No way was I going to survive the next day if I wouldn't get at least six hours of proper sleep. I enjoyed the day to the fullest, but it was still new and exhausting, trying to keep up with a child.

Earning few grunts that turned into a reluctant agreement, we said our goodbyes, and I continued on my way. I should grab some beer and more food if Nels was coming over. I wouldn't hear the end of it if I bought food for only myself.

***

I had to go and search for a house. That was the only thing I could think about since the moment I woke up this morning. There was no way around it. Now that I knew I had a son, I couldn't simply leave. There was no way I was going to go back to my old apartment miles away and pretend I didn't have a family here. I wanted to be close by and that would be impossible if I lived in a different state.

"Nels, I'm going to move here," I said when we left the hotel, heading to work. Thanks to Nelson, I managed to finish the papers much sooner than I had expected, and with full eight hour sleep, I was relaxed and fully rested. My mind was clear as it hadn't been for a long time, and I had to use this opportunity to deal with the most important stuff at the moment.