28. Chapter - Disaster

OLIVER's POV

It was finally Saturday, and although I had to be at work, I was in a great mood. All my worries concerning Victor were temporarily pushed away. The only thing I could think about since I woke up was the fact Josh was really coming back today, and I couldn't help grinning while humming happily.

It was almost noon, so the most difficult desserts, as well as sandwiches, were already finished, and I was currently working on the second light lemon cheesecake for evening. It was surprising, but lemon cheesecakes were one of the most popular ones when it came to evening merchandise. I always thought it would be more of a morning dessert based on my own experience, but after the first half of a year we'd been opened, we found out it was the other way around. Since then, I always prepared at least two of them for each evening whenever my shift was, so our customers would be satisfied. It always sold out completely. The other popular ones were Finley's Blackcurrant cubes, which was my favorite as well. It was sweet and sour at the same time, with chocolate and lemon topping. I could always eat four pieces at once and never got tired of it. There were regulars who always came only on specific days for these desserts, and it always made me happy. I couldn't really wish for more when it came to the shop. My dream came true to the fullest.

"You look weirdly happy today. After what's been happening these days, it's kinda strange. What's up?" Charlie put away the trey he was carrying, leaned against the table and looked at me with interest written all over his face. He switched his shift with Dylan once again, so we'd finally had more time to talk.

He wasn't really himself since Victor appeared here the first day, and I started to miss his usually cheery self. He was one of these hyper people who couldn't really stop moving in one way or another. He used to always go around, half dancing, all smiles, and seeing him so down made me feel bad. He deserved to be happy.

Smiling up at him, I silently prayed for him to forget all of his bitter memories about Victor as soon as possible.

"I am happy, actually. Josh's returning today." I took a spoon of the cream I was currently working on, and hummed satisfied at the taste.

"I can't wait to see him. It's been a week, but with all the shit happening, it feels like months." I smiled again, looking at Char carefully. From time to time, whenever I was talking about my relationship with Josh, I would catch him making this sad face that tugged at my heart. I could see he craved the same kind of relationship I had, but with his trust issues he had because of Victor, every relationship he started ended almost immediately.

"Anyway, enough about me, what about the Travis guy? You've been extremely quiet about him since two weeks ago," I tried, hoping for positive response. When I saw his face fall, I knew the answer.

"What happened?" asking that, I put away the bowl, went around the table and stood right in front of him. There was still enough time to finish the cake, so I could spare several minutes.

He sighed, looking down as if guilty of something.

"It's the same as always. He just seemed too nice, too perfect. There's no man on this planet who is perfect," he mumbled, rubbing his hand together. He looked like a child when he acted this way, a shy little kid who didn't know what to do with himself, which always made me smile. I knew the situation wasn't one I should smile about, but I couldn't help myself.

Ruffling his hair playfully, I grinned when he looked up.

"I see one perfect man in front of me." I chuckled, dodging his attempt to punch me in the shoulder.

"Shut up." His voice wavered, his lips trembling. I could see he was trying hard not to smile, which was a good sign. I felt bad for what I was about to say, but he never really talked about this, so I had to take advantage of his sudden talkative mood.