Enemy Lines Blurred

Enemy Lines Blurred

While running, Davina trips and is quickly lifted up by Jake. The three continue to run for what feels like miles. They reach a small cabin that is heavily concealed by dense brush. The trio enter.

Inside the cabin is sparse. There are a few wooden chairs, sleeping mats a small refrigerator. At the back of the safe house, there are scattered hunting weapons. Jake leaves both women to go outside and relieve himself. The witches sit in silence until Davina speaks.

With her voice cracking, she turns to her female captor, "Nahla, please let me go. I am an easy target for anybody right now. You have me tied up and I can't do magic. What if Deron's wolves find us?"

Nahla looks at Davina with visible worry in her eyes and quickly undoes the ropes binding her. She does a spell breaking the bracelet so that Davina can do magic. Although Nahla was a part of the reason she was in this mess, Davina knew that they had to work together to get out of there alive.

Jake returns inside the cabin and looks at both women. He realizes that Davina is free from her bindings. No one had to explain to him the reason why. As far as he was concerned the more of them to fight the better.

They were in a very remote place, so cell service was out of the question. Davina starts to think of ways to get out of the cabin safely. Her thoughts are interrupted by quiet sobs. Nahla is sitting, with her face on her knees crying. It was difficult not to feel sympathy for her. Davina assures her that they will make it out. Nahla is not convinced. She tells Davina that all of her coven had been wiped out by Deron's werewolves.

Davina tries to take charge of the situation. "Jake, what is the quickest way to get out of here?"

"I have an idea how to get out but it would take us at least an hour's walk through the brush to get to the main road. We can't go back where we came" he responds.

The area was swarming with loyalists to Deron. With the wolves and witches working on his side, it would not take long for them to be found.

Davina tells Nahla to help her with a cloaking spell to hide the cabin. It was the best they could do until they could come up with something else. Nahla agrees. The witches hold hands to channel each other.

"Intra eum cardinem est coniuncti sumus caecus." They repeat this spell over and over. The cabin becomes hidden and anyone who passes it would see only dense brush.

"If they can't see us, shouldn't we just lay low here until morning?" says Jake.

"No, they have witches, they could be using magic that will lead them right to us," Davina says.

Nodding in Jake's direction Nahla says "she's right."

"We can't just run through the darkness and hope to find the road. There are werewolves and witches out there. Probably even vampires. Even if we manage to make it to the road, where do we go from there? We have no car and we are in the middle of nowhere" says Jake.

With her anxiety growing, Nahla runs her fingers nervously through her hair. "Davina we need to send a message to someone to meet us at the road. I have a spell but I need lemongrass."

"How are we supposed to get lemongrass?" Davina asks.

"There was some in this forest. I have seen it. I just have to find it" she replies.

"Nahla you're not going out there by yourself. We'll send a message another way."

"How Davina? We can't just sit here. I say we take our chances and try to get to the road" says Nahla.

"Well on that we agree, we need to get to the road. I have something I want to try" she responds.

Davina takes off her necklace. Inside of the locket is rosemary. This herb can be substituted for almost any other herb. Since living in New Orleans and needing to protect herself, she frequently had it in her possession.

The spell she wanted to try was one that Esther had used on Kol to tell him to go back home. She was going to try and combine it with a vision to him of where they were. Nahla steps in to help and takes Davina's hands. Together the witches chant.

Ego ostendam tibi et arbitrium nostrae nexum

Davina's nose starts to bleed during the incantation but they both continue saying ego ostendam tibi et arbitrium nostrae nexum. She pauses the spell and asks Nahla for their location. Nahla does not have a precise address for the cabin but gives one for the factory and uses imagery to give a rough estimate of their current location. Jake chimes in and tells them the name of the road in which they would be headed.

"Let's get out of here," Davina says as she grabs a knife. Nahla runs to the back and grabs a few arrows of own. Jake decides that his power as a werewolf would be enough to protect him. The trio leaves the cabin and head back to the dark woods.

They run and hide every couple of feet. Jake leads them and uses his sense of smell to detect other wolves. With luck on their side, they had not come across any of Deron's followers. Nahla and Davina pause to catch their breaths.

Jake moves ahead and the two witches stand back.

"I see the road" he turns and tells the women.

Davina smiles at Nahla and tells they are going to make it. The smiles turn to terror when they hear a gun shot. Jake is hit and falls to the ground.

Nahla screams and Davina puts a hand over her mouth. She pulls Nahla behind a large tree and tells her to be quiet.

The women hide until a werewolf appears and stands over Jake. He pulls out a stake to stab the wounded wolf. Davina runs out. Nahla follows quickly behind.

"Get the hell away from him" the harvest witch yells at their attacker. Nahla uses a spell to throw the werewolf against a tree. The wolf lays at the stump of the tree unconscious. Davina and Nahla run to Jake breathing is quick and shallow.

"We've got to get him out of " Nahla whispers to Davina. The witches try to move Jake but he screams pain. He tells them that the bullet is laced with wolfsbane. Davina does a spell to ease Jake's pain. Each witch grabs one of Jake's arms and pulls him up from the ground. They move slowly but begin making their way the the bottom of the large hill. She urges Nahla to quicken pace. At this, point the road was their salvation. If they could get to the bottom of the hill, perhaps a motorist might see them and they could get to safety.