Chapter seven:Curiosity and Resolution

"Sometimes we get mature before our age because life shows us the worst part of the world at early stage of life..."- anonymous

The next morning was a clear and beautiful day. Hanan woke up earlier than usual. The headache has subsided a bit and she felt a bit relieved. Her wrist now bandaged and with some painkillers it has also relieved her. She did her usual morning routine and went downstairs.

Surprisingly, faaiz slept in the room last night. She was overjoyed when she saw him enter the room but was short lived when she was told he is only sleeping there out of necessity and it had been out of no choice. After then she had been totally ignored. He slept on the couch and that night she shed another round of tears before sleep overtook her.

She had awoken this morning and was surprised to see him still on the couch but was busy with his laptop. He didn't notice her cos his back was to her. She went downstairs quietly, really happy to be able to prepare his meal.

"Morning ma , care for anything?" Sofia attacked upon entering the room.

"Morning dear, nope. You can leave that to me. I wanna prepare my hubby's meal" she told her and Sofia smiled understanding her plight. She is in her late 20's and a single mother, that's all she knows about her.

"Hmm ..... Sofia, can you tell me more about yourself?" Hanan said cos she had told her to call her by her name and, she smiled sadly and they continued what they were doing while she told her more about herself.

"My full name is Sofia Yusuf. I am 29 years old, a single mother of three, the oldest is 10. I was married off at a very young age and didn't have a formal education. My father died when I was four and by that time I was already betrothed to someone. I got engaged at the age of sixteen, became officially married when i was 18 , became a mother at 19. I was married to an older man and he died some years back when our last born was barely a year." Hanan nodded feeling for her.

"What a touching story. But was your marriage a love one?"

Sofia smiled reminiscing old memory. "Nope. Infarct, I hated him so much cos I learnt I've been betrothed since I was 3. So i was restricted to so many things, I was not allowed to go to school. It was really hard to cope with him mostly because of the age difference, he was 30 years older." Hanan's eyes widened.. really?

"Yea. But with time , through patience and endurance, we understood each other and from there things started working out. But trust me, it wasn't easy. And after his death, everything was hard and since I wasn't educated, it was hectic. So, that was what led me to this job."

"Hmm....... I'm really sorry." Hanan said wiping her hands and hugged her.

"Hmmm....Seems some people are bonding, I'm just a lil bit jealous for being left out." Mariam said wiping her tears and moved closer pouting.

"Granny! Salam! When did you get here!?" Hanan exclaimed when she broke the hug and hugged mariam.

"Wasalam dear, I have been here the whole time, you guys just did not notice me and had to make my Royal presence noticeable" she replied with a wink and Hanan giggled while sofia blushed.

"And oh! Nice aroma by the way. Can't wait to eat the delicious meal my grand daughter in law prepare. Even my tummy can't wait to be filled. I'm famished already" Hanan rolled her eyes with amusement already used to that. Hanan then served the meal really excited. "Hmm. I can see someone is really excited" and Hanan chose not to reply.

After some minutes, faaiz came downstairs. "Salam alaykum habibi! How was your night?" Mariam asked and he kissed her cheeks before sitting.

"What's for breakfast?" He asked.

"Toast and tea" Hanan replied and his head shot up and they made eye contact but he looked away instantly. "Oh k"

She'd been so surprised when she saw him came downstairs. She felt ecstatic. She couldn't believe he was actually here. "Will this be enough or do you want more? Or should I bring a nutella? And if these aren't enough i can always make a -" but she was cut off rather rudely.

"Thanks. This should be enough" as he dived into his food. Quietly, Hanan sat down to eat. Then coincidentally their hands reached out for the glass of water simultaneously and they both jerked back as if jolted by electricity. He then reached out for it again but this time, Hanan didn't dare to again. After gulping down some, he stood up and made to leave.

"Leaving already?" Mariam asked and he nodded checking his watch. He then hugged and kissed his grandmother goodbye.

"Bye." He said to no one in particular.

"Wait!" Hanan called back and he stopped in his track.

"Here. You forgot this" she extended his briefcase. He gave her a blank look and collected it from her. They both stood there for some while. Mariam now smiling mischievously thinking she's making the couples uncomfortable took an excuse and left them there.

This is going to be awkward. Hanan thought.

"You shouldn't have bother" he stated his cold eyes penetrating every fiber of her being.

She suddenly felt self conscious. She is putting on a long oversized sweater and her Pajamas, her scarf loosely tied on her head, her hair practically sticking out, she must look like a zombie cos she's been in the kitchen for the past hours and had been sweating. Whereas he looked smart in his neatly ironed suit with his hair neatly jelled back and her reached up and they both locked gaze.

Ocean blue et cold brown orbs.. And she looked away instantly. His look could melt ice. He has this irritating look on his face.
"Grandma isn't here now. No more act okay?"

And he checked his watch again and Hanan inwardly rolled her eyes and as usual "Gotta leave now" And with that he left without another glance and she sighed.

Not even a thank you! She stared at his retreating figure and fell on her knees. All of a sudden, an overwhelming feeling struck her and she made a revolution to melt the ice and whatever it is that made him this way.

She vowed to make it her priority to find out the reason for his unsmiling face....

*****************
Yup! It's me 😊✌✌
Back again.. And guess what?!!