Chapter Twenty Eight:Connection And Incidence

'Never get so comfortable in pain that you forget happiness is still an option'

Hanan awoke in the middle of the night all sweaty and felt heat. She got up and removed the thick sweatshirt. She felt throat patched and realized the jug is empty.

She couldn't believe she slept all through the day. She then sighed, Faaiz is nowhere to be seen. It wasn't so surprising anymore. She felt better but still sick.

She got to the kitchen and felt somehow light headed. She saw a silhouette of someone in the dark.

Already used to the kitchen, she didn't bother switching on the light.
"How are you feeling now?"

She wobbled and he caught her. He eyed her cautiously "Where is your cardigan?"

"Which do you expect me to answer first?"

"Whichever you deem fit"

She rolled her eyes. "Atleast better. I felt hot."

He checked her pulse. He sighed audibly "Glory to the most high"

She gave him a blank look. "I was scared" He whispered she almost didn't hear him.

By now he already left her and cautiously placed her on the stool. He moved to the window side and gazed at the clear midnight sky.

The bright night stars twinkling brightly in the sky. The moon light casting a warm glow on the young couple. "What?"

"Never mind"

He brewed her a coffee and gave her. The cool, hushed breeze blowing softly against their skin. "Hmm.."

"Pretend you didn't hear that"

"I'm tired of pretending"

"Had to persuade granny to leave your side and get some rest."

He was changing the topic on purpose. She knew.

"Why are you awake?"

"Couldn't sleep"

"Your insomnia again?" He nodded and took his coffee.

"You actually acted like you care"

He opened his mouth to talk but closed it back. He then shrugged. Silence fell between them as she sipped the coffee. She likes midnight, at the same time dreaded it.

The early morning breeze blew her hair as she let it loose from the bun, leaving her neck exposed in the process.

"What mark is that?"

Oh no!

"Where?"

He pointed to the scar between her shoulder blade. She adjusted her blouse. Quivering lightly "Its Nothing"

"It doesn't look like it"

He shouldn't push further, the topic already making her feel anxious and nervous. She needed to change the subject. She thought quickly,

"Ain't you going to bed now? Its late" She then smirked "You have a long day ahead. Work calls!"

He rubbed his face wearily and wanted to say something. "You know what?"

She raised her eyebrows. "Just forget it. And Yeah, I have a long day ahead indeed. And my time is too precious to be wasted on petty things"

"And here I was hoping you'd changed your ways. I was wrong yet again"

"Stop getting your hopes high sweetheart. It's a cruel world"

He dropped his mug on the sink and turned to leave. "Where to?"