Chapter twelve: Dinner and Disaster

Weekend came as promised. "Hanan dear. Hope everything is all set?" Mariam shouted from the kitchen.

"Yeah granny. Everything is all set" Hanan moved back and glanced at her handwork and couldn't help but smile. She gave a thumbs up to Sofia who only smiled in return. "Will be back in ten. Needs to freshen up"

She called out to Mariam who replied with an Ok. She winked at her before heading upstairs. Today is the day the Hussein's are coming over and Mariam being Mariam made a big deal about everything. She wants it to be the perfect evening.
She herself was the one that cooked the meal claiming she has her 'special recipe' and of course Hanan and the other maids were the ones in charge of decorations and table setting.

Upon getting to the room, she sighed when she inhaled his cologne. Its been six days since she had set her eyes on him. The evening she blasted out on him, he steered clear of her. He was in his study all day. She even went to ask him about coffee but he clearly refused and since then he hasn't even come home.

The one time she'd tried calling his office, his secretary picked it claiming he's in a meeting and work has been very hectic lately. When she'd confronted Mariam about the matter she was only asked to give him his space and that as she was told, work has been hectic.

She had reassured herself about that but hasn't stopped herself from worrying. She exhaled and went to freshen up. She came out of the shower with only towel and stared at her reflection. All the scars and marks are slowly fading. She traced her hand down the big bruise on her hand and back, the one that was there the night her dad had thrown her to the wall and she had landed on broken vases and her hand had grazed the pieces.

She saw the scar on her stomach and shut her eyes tightly. No! She won't dwell on past memories. She shut her eyes tightly and tried blocking those horrifying memories. She dressed up as usual, her long sleeved over flowing floral gown and wrapped her scarf. She put a lip gloss on her chapped lips and headed downstairs. Where she was greeted by an ever vibrant and adorable lil girl. "Hanan!"

She squealed and ran to her for a hug "Aneesah!" She replied with equal enthusiasm. "I missed you"

"Aww! Same here. I've been eager to meet you" then they both separated and Hanan turned to face Hussein. He's looking really good in his grey pant and sky blue sweatshirt, his hair neatly styled back.

"Salam alaykum!"

"Walaykum salam. How are you?" Hanan inquired.

"All fine"he replied with his dashing smile. Then mariam ever so happily " Nice nice. Let's all head towards the table and make the night a memorable one" she squealed happily and Hanan shook her head at her childishness.

Aneesah tugged on her dress and she extended her palms to her which she happily took and excitedly led her way to the table. They all settled down and the maids served the meal. "So tell me more about yourself Hussein. "
He cringed and then he relaxed for a while before starting. Hanan couldn't decipher this attitude of his. He seemed off ever since he's been to the Hasnayn's villa. But she shrugged it off. "Well.. I'm a single father. My wife died during childbirth... "

"Oh! I'm so sorry for your loss" Mariam said sympathetically. Hanan was rather lost for words.

Hussein managed a small smile. "Its okay. I-" but was cut short as the bell rang. Mariam motioned for one of the maids to answer.

"No. I will get that" she stood up without further ado and went to the door. She opened it and she let out a loud gasp. "My Gawd!" Before her stood a very dishelved faaiz. His face looked extremely worn out. Dark circles and eyes puffy from lack of sleep.

His hair, oh! That's ridiculous. His hair looks out of place. It looked as if hand had been through it constantly messing it up really badly.
And his clothes? That's a no go area.

In one word, he looked HORRIBLE! He staggered in, briefcase in one hand and suit in the other.
The maids quickly rushed forward and relieved him of his loads. Hanan could not utter a word.

As Faaiz made his way into the house, she quietly shut the door. Gasps reverberated through the hallway as the rest took in his appearance. "My Allah! Faaiz, what the h*** happened to you?" Mariam stated as she stood up from her seat and made her way towards him. "You look disarranged. Wherever in the world have you been? And mhen, do you smell so bad!" She concluded as she eyed him up and down.

He held his hand on his head and groaned "Granny! For the love of God can you just lower your voice. It's sounding thunderous to my ear." Aneesah giggled and that was when he finally gazed up and made eye contact with Hussein.

His blood boil and he clenched his jaw. Hussein turned rigid in his seat. Hanan didn't miss out the glare they both exchanged. Mariam suddenly grew unusually quiet. "And what is he doing here?!" Faaiz growled pointing to Hussein.

"Oh my dear! You need to calm down. They are just-"

"To hell with my calmness. I need a damn explanation about what he's doing here!" Mariam tried to touch him but he jerk her hands away.

"We are also about to leave" Hussein finally stated which only angered Faaiz more.

"Who gave him the right to enter MY HOUSE!?" For the very first time Hanan saw Mariam vulnerable. She searched for words to say. That's incredible, giving the fact that Mariam is a talkative.

"Remember its my house too" And faaiz shut his eyes and rubbed his hands over his face.

"Can someone just explain what's going on here?" Hanan finally spoke up when she realized she's never going to be acknowledged.

"There's nothing going on. We are just about to leave" Now, Hanan is beyond confused.

"But you've just gotten here" she looked between Mariam and Hussein and finally Faaiz who was trying real hard to be cool. Aneesah was quietly sucking on her thumb.

"Hussein you really don't have to leave." Mariam cajoled. He tucked on his daughter's arm and turned to them.

"No. Its time. My presence here is highly unwelcome" he stated bitterly turning to Faaiz who clenched his fist tightly in return. He turned to Hanan and smiled sadly. "Gotta go. Ma salam"

"But you don't have to."

"No more discussion. I'm leaving. Bye" he took his daughter's hand and turned to leave.

"Aunt Hanan" Aneesah called out and she bent down to her level. "Don't let Dad take me away." She pleaded and Hanan sighed and turned to Hussein.

"I know i can't convince you to stay. But atleast promise me you will bring her again. That there's gonna be a next time." Aneesah pouted and pleaded too and he finally gave in. "Fine. Okay."

And she broke into a huge grin. She gave her a good bye hug and peck on the cheek before he finally dragged her out of the house. "Bye!" Hanan stood back up and turned to face them.

Faaiz looked enraged and would burst anytime soon. Mariam has a sad smile on her face. What Hanan couldn't comprehend is the connection between the three. What could have made Faaiz so mad to the extent of splitting into two. And Mariam being rendered speechless is beyond comprehension!

With his angry self, he headed upstairs and Mariam held on to the couch for support. She quickly rushed towards her and helped her. As she was about to speak Mariam held her hands up for her "Yeah. I know you gat a lot of questions and things to say but that would be definitely later. Cos I'm having this terrible headache. And i can feel the heart attack's getting to me."

"Okay then. Go on and take your drugs" she nodded and headed to her room leaving Hanan puzzled, bewildered and most importantly, confused beyond measures..

*****************
hehehe! Yup its me again✌.
What could possibly be the cause of the sudden change in the scenario??
Dhum dhum dhum!!😎
Am i the only one that feels this is going more intense.

Anyways.. Vote, comment and share! 😘👍
Love y'all