Chapter Thirty Six: Interest And Mildness

'Maybe some things don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and adapt to what we cant. Maybe some of us will never be fully okay, but atleast we are here. We are still trying. We are doing the best we can. And that's worth celebrating too.'

"Granny, I need help."

"What? Where?? What happened? Oh my grandson what have you done??" She then gasped, "Oh my God, don't tell me you've committed a murder!" She widened her eyes in horror. "Oh my. I can't house a murderer, sooner or later, they'll come for you. Or worst still, you've gone bankrupt! I cant start imagining how I will -"

Faaiz face palmed himself the whole while. "For the love of God granny, it's not what you are thinking of. None of the above happened, and just for once can you stop being dramatic?!"

Mariam held her chest in relief and then rolled her eyes, "Then, why else would you need my help if you are not in trouble?"

"I'm not in trouble."

"So, tell me what the problem is?"

All of a sudden, Faaiz felt maybe discussing it with her was a bad idea afterall. "I- erm actually,"

She raised her eyebrow and suddenly grew an unusual interest in what he has to say. He groaned "Can you stop giving me that look?"

"What? Did I do anything now?" She gave him an innocent look.

He shook his head, scratching the back of his head. "The thing is just - nowadays I feel weird and I don't know, somehow. There's this feeling I get. I can't just phantom the cause."

She tried to hide her excitement and gave him a serious look. "Oh really? What feeling is that? And -" Mariam winked, "Is it regarding your wife?"

"Maybe her. I don't know. I feel so confused about what I feel. It's like I am not even myself anymore."

"Is my grandson finally in love?" She teased him.

"Hell no."

"Oh, someone is denying how he feels." She cooed.

Faaiz rolled his eyes. "This has nothing to do with feelings."

"Tell me something."

He groaned. "You are making this hard. I knew I was making the wrong decision by coming to talk to you."

Mariam feigned hurt, "So, my own grandson can't confide in me?" Faaiz knew better than anyone to fall for her antics.

"You just like being unnecessarily dramatic."

"I would pretend that didn't sting."

"Very good then."

"You know sometimes, I often think you'll be the death of me."

He hid his amusement. "Now where's the fun in that. If I don't tease you, who will?"

Mariam chuckled and her face grew serious. "Does she know?"

"Know what?"

"That you love her."

He face palmed himself, "Granny, I don't love her. I'm not in love." He gritted out.

"Deny it all you want. I know you do."

Faaiz stood, clearly knowing where the conversation was headed. "I have some unfinished business."

"We all know that's a lame excuse. Stop being a coward and just embrace the fact."

"I don't know whether I have to spell it out for you. What part of 'I don't' don't you understand? Just because I came to you doesn't mean I do, I just wanted to clear the conflicted feeling. But you've only made it worse." He tsked and massaged his temple.