Chapter Thirty Four: Instigation And Desperation

'Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.. Be kind, always.'

Hanan had just gotten out of the bathroom muttering to herself. She hit her forehead, "Gosh! Why do I have to forget the hairdryer?"

She was busy towel drying her damp hair and didn't bother looking up, when she bumped into someone. Her slippery feet slipped and she almost fell. She yelped but a hand held her waist, stopping her from falling.

She opened her already shut her eyes and gasped, realizing who it was. He was home at last. They gazed at each other for a while, before she snapped out of her reverie. He released her from his arms and they both stood there awkwardly.

"You look worn out." She observed.

"Yeah. Work stress." Hanan shut her eyes and Faaiz sighed.

She added, "When are you not tired?" She moved away from him, heading towards the dresser, to get her hairdryer.

When she noticed he didn't say anything, she glanced up at him and narrowed her eyes. "What's wrong?"

"I'm travelling tonight."

"Like, right now?" Faaiz nodded.

He noticed her expression and moved closer, but stopped. He went to his briefcase, brought out a carton and advanced towards her. Hanan looked at him puzzled. He extended it towards her, and she reluctantly collected. Her eyes widened. A cell phone! An expensive one that is.

"What- how - where?" She blurted, confused and amusement danced in his eyes.

"I figured you don't have one. On my way back now, it occurred to me and I decided to get you one."

And she smiled. A huge one. "Thank you." Faaiz nodded, glad she wasn't rejecting it.

"Hope you like it?" He asked as she brought it out from the case.

"Are you trying to coax me? Trying to buy your way back with me?" She asked with a smirk.

He rubbed his face wearily, "Can you not bring the matter up please?"

She raised her eyebrow, "Oh really?"

"Just accept the gift like you normally would have."

"Like a typical husband, gifting his wife?"

He sighed tiredly. "Something like that."

Then none of them said another thing as they went back to their various activities. Each in deep thought.

She hasn't been herself since she'd gotten home. Hanan felt maybe, she took it hard on her best friend, afterall, it was all in the past. She felt bad for reacting the way she did. And she really wished to make things right.

"You staying long?" asked she, eyeing the clothes he was packing.

"It depends. There has been some problems at work and it needs to be looked into with immediate effect. If it turns out fine.. I would be back earlier and if not. Then I might stay long."

"Okayy.. Safe journey."

He nodded and paused, "I-"

"I haven't changed my mind yet," She beat him to it. "I am not ready to consider. And you can have the phone back, if it's bought with that motive."

He nodded, a sad look in his eyes but he masked it off as quickly as it came.
"Take all your time. And no, the phone is yours to always keep."

"You haven't done anything to prove yourself worthy." She smirked.