[17] The First Day

*Second Person POV*

        You are currently petting Cobalt, who is curled around you, in front of Astrid's house. Your bag that has your necklace's symbol on it, sits beside your feet. As you slide your hand across the scales on his face, your mind wanders for a bit.

        Hiccup organized a team of riders to go out with you. Which, no surprise, is the usual rider gang you hang out with the exception of Hiccup because he has chief duties. So instead, Astrid is in charge and is to report anything useful that proves these strange riders as a potential threat. Snotlout had objected immediately and complained why he shouldn't be the leader.

        You feel a smile make its way to your face when you recalled how Astrid shut him up by making him nearly wet his pants by narrowly missing him with her ax. You shake your head to clear that topic from your mind, and think of something else as you trace the outlines of the scales on Cobalt's neck.

         Fishlegs had informed you earlier about how they knew about Melody Island from past adventures. He had told you about a fairly nasty dragon that ate other dragons had lived there, till Hiccup dealt with it. Which you were slightly thankful of, though some part of you wouldn't mind this new group of people being eaten by it.

        Your train of thought was soon broken when Astrid opened the door to her house. Cobalt lifted his head with perked ears, at the same time you looked at Astrid as she walked out and towards you. Stormfly, who was perched on the roof, glided to her side.

        "Is it time?" You ask, curious, eager, and nervous all at the same time.

        "Yup." Astrid replied simply, placing her hand on Stormfly's side next to her. "You know we have to leave Cobalt behind right?" Astrid pointed out with a straight face. Though, there was a hint she didn't like it as much as you did.

        You sighed, looking down at Cobalt. He looked back at you with his big white eyes. You had thought over this happening, and now that its proven true. You felt really bad about leaving him here, but you don't have a choice since you have a time limit.

        "Sorry Cobalt. Maybe next time." You put a smile on your face, trying to keep his spirits up. But it didn't seem to work. He let out a small whine, and placed a paw on your legs. Looking at you with his big round eyes.

       "Don't give me that look..." You groan, looking away from his cute yet worried eyes. Probably concerned that something would hurt you without him around. You glance back to see him still doing it. He is.

        You sigh and push him off of you, before standing up and patting his head. "I'll be fine Cobalt. Astrid and Stormfly will look after me." You pointed out, walking over to them as you say it.

        Stormfly makes a reassuring squawk sound. Cobalt huffs and lays back down, looking at the ground. You feel bad about having to leave him, but as you walk away to lead the way to the others. You feel like your not quite as safe, without him by your side.

=+=+=(O)=+=+=

        You find yourself staring at Astrid's back, while you absentmindedly rub Stormfly's smooth scales under you. Astrid glanced at your from over her shoulder.

        "What's wrong?" Astrid spoke quite bluntly.

        "I... still feel guilty about leaving Cobalt behind." You admitted, still staring at her back.

        "There wasn't anyway he could have come though." Astrid only echoed what you've been telling yourself.

        "I know..." Your voice drifted off, you shook your head. "I need to stop being so negative." You said more to yourself. Stormfly squawked in agreement, making you smile. And seeing you smile, made Astrid smile slightly too, but you didn't see it.

        "The sun will be setting soon." Fishlegs suddenly butted in, oblivious to the moment. You looked to the left of you to see Fishlegs flying on Meatlug. "We should stop and camp somewhere."

        "Uh... yeah, good idea Fishlegs." Astrid responded. You raised an eyebrow at her, but didn't speak. "How about that island up ahead? It looks like its safe to land." Astrid pointed out. You look down from your seat on Stormfly, to see a decent sized island up ahead. Its mostly flat with grassy clearings, and a pond near a small forest. The only dragons you see inhabiting it are terrible terrors.

        "Sounds good to me. I'm soo tired of flying all day." Complained Snotlout from behind you.

        "Alright, its settled then. Lets go." Astrid commanded. You put both arms around Astrid's waist to get a better grip before Stormfly dove down. Followed by everyone else as you all headed for the area near the pond to land. When you all landed on the ground and dismounted Stormfly with Astrid. You looked up at the almost setting sun. Signifying the first day of the three, are up.