[42] The Storm

*Second Person POV*

"Caroline, today was the best day I ever had," you said. A big grin on your face as you lie in bed, staring up at the ceiling. One that has stayed on your face for the rest of the evening.

"I bet," Caroline says. You turn your head to look at her as he feeds your dragons. Throwing a fish to both. Tawni and Cobalt happily gulp them up. "You certainly seemed happy when I got back."

"I'm so glad I was brave enough to do that," you say to the ceiling.

Caroline chuckles somewhere in the room.

You sit up on the bed, leaning over the foot of it to look at Cobalt all curled up. His eyes are getting droopy. "You tired boy? We weren't even out that late, we've done worse."

Cobalt snorts, tucking his head under his wing. You smile softly at him. Settling down on your stomach to pet him as he sleeps.

You feel a weight next to you on the bed. Turning to look reveals Caroline. She also looks tired. "You feeling alright? You look like you're tired?" You ask her.

"I'm fine," she smiles. Something feels off about it.

You frown and move onto your side to face her. "You're not fine. Come on, you can tell me what's wrong."

"I know." Caroline looks out the window in the room. Staring out at the village blanketed in darkness.

You poke her leg. "Hey, I'm serious you know. We are still from the same clan. I still care about you."

Caroline let's out a breath. "I know." Before you can poke her again, she continues. "A lot is on my mind. I just... Sometimes I wish things never changed. That the only thing we wished for, was to be outside under the stars."

"What do you mean? We've been doing pretty good here." You point out.

"The Luzarians aren't," she said.

The overall happy mood in the air you've been relishing in for hours now dips. Right. Your clan. Your own mother. They aren't as safe as you.

"Caroline, I know that. But what do you expect me to do?" You frown at her.

"No, I understand that," Caroline quickly remedies. "I just... Being here, with other people. I can't stop thinking about it."

You look back down at Cobalt sleeping. Watching the rise and fall of his chest. It must be really hard for Caroline right now. She has full memory of your home. Of the people who live there, hiding and hoping that something will happen. It's probably much harder for her to ignore.

"Let's go out for a quick flight," Caroline abruptly said.

"What?" You snap your eyes back to her. "It's the middle of the night. It's not safe for us to do that."

"We can be careful. You flew out with Astrid today, what's so different this time?" Caroline merely shrugged.

"It was day time and she took me to a secluded area," you stress.

Caroline gets up, "Okay, then so can we. I think I spotted a few good spots during my rounds." She thinks aloud.

You sit up, "Caroline we shouldn't."

"Never stopped us before," she smirks. Throwing on her bow and quiver of arrows. Then turning to Tawni and getting down on her knees to check her saddle.