06 | d a r l e n e

A/N: Okay - so let me explain this a little bit before I get farther into the book. I'm really mixing and matching events. It's not really following the show close whatsoever, so if you see certain things that you know happen at different times - just go with it.

BES

Honestly, I'm going to break that fucking alarm clock.

I sit up quickly and realize something kind of strange. I'm at home. In my apartment. How did I even get here?

Oh God.

Elliot.

I groan, then pull my pillow over my face - trying to shield myself from the embarrassment I feel.

I don't even know what to think about last night, and I'm probably going to avoid addressing it for the rest of my life.

I don't recall saying anything embarrassing or even really saying anything at all, but the fact that I passed out in a strangers bed is already bad enough.

I didn't know Elliot OR Shayla like that - AT ALL.

They seriously could have killed me, or drugged me, or something worse. I have no idea.

Of course I don't think they would do something like that, but that's exactly the point - I don't know them well enough to know for sure that something like that wouldn't happen.

I worked at Allsafe for a total of three days, and talked to Elliot for probably about five minutes of all the combined times we had spoke before then.

My mother would be so disappointed in me. I can't believe I was so careless. I gave Elliot my fucking keys! He basically carried me into my house because my ass was too lazy to walk!

T. his is ridiculous.

Also.. I saw Shayla hand him a baggie. I don't think they thought I was paying attention at all, but it looked like a little sandwich bag and she almost shoved it in his pocket forcefully.

If it was just weed or something it seems it would have been a bit silly to hide it from me like that, I mean I had just smoked with them not long before that.

I guess it isn't necessarily my job to worry about that, Elliot and Shayla are both adults who can take care of themselves.

Still seems a little sketchy though..

Doesn't matter. I need to get ready and sadly face Elliot in about twenty minutes.

I hurriedly put on my office attire and threw my hair up in a bun, like I usually did the past couple of days I've been working here. Hopefully nobody notices that I basically have no style whatsoever.

I shove a bagel in my mouth and take off out the door.

Clearly, literally running into people is my talent because now I have just knocked someone on their ass.

Nice going Bes.

I begin to internally freak out because there's no way I can shout a quick apology to this woman without pulling my phone out, so I mouth 'I'm sorry' and extend my hand to help her up.

The woman takes my hand I pull her up from the ground.

"Do you know a guy named Elliot?" She asks. I shrug and raise my right eyebrows.

"If you do.. Tell him Darlene's looking for him." I nod and wave goodbye as I run to get to work on time.

• • •

I'm relieved to see Elliot at work today, especially after the Darlene encounter.

I plop down in my office chair and smile at my neighbor.

"Hey."

He looks over to me and I see the corner of his mouth go up a little bit in a slightly awkward smile.

"Hello."

"I just wanted to say I'm sorry. That was a really strange situation and I totally should have asked you if it was okay first. And I'm really sorry about the whole you having to carry me-"

"Don't mention it." Elliot says politely cutting me off.

I inhale dramatically and then type, "I bumped into another girl this morning. She said to tell you Darlene was looking for you. Wow, Elliot. How many girlfriends do you have?" I joked.

His eyes got wide and I immediately regretted it.

"Did she say anything else?" He asks, curiosity laced in his voice.

I shake my head no and he nods at me.

"Thank you."

The day goes by relatively normally, no big exciting things happening. Not that I expected them to. Lunch rolls around and I go out and get myself a snack and a Starbucks coffee hoping that would tide me over until the end of the day. I replied to a few emails here and there, and even made a phone call to my mother just to catch up but carefully avoiding the details of my marijuana adventure.

She really didn't need to know about that. If I were going to tell anyone it would be David.

Angela even caught up with me on the street and asked if I wanted to catch lunch with her on Friday and I politely agreed, mainly because I need to start making friends. Maybe that will push me out of my shell.

I also need to finish up all my homework and projects for my college courses but I've been avoiding them like the plague.

Should probably enroll myself into therapy while I'm at it.

I never necessarily liked the idea of therapy.

I know why I'm mute. I know I can talk. I just simply choose not to for some certain reasons.

We aren't quite that close yet, friend.

But alas, I'm sure therapy could probably help me at least come out of my shell without having to blabber about this.. certain issue.

I could only talk to David for so long without him figuring it all out. I knew he had some pieces and parts here and there but he didn't have the full story.

I so desperately wanted to tell him what I saw that night but I just couldn't bare to break my brother's heart and ruin his image of our father like that.

To be completely honest, I don't know what would stop David from going to the police and even after seventeen years, I still am not quite sure the threat is off the table.

This was something I had to keep quiet about.

My mouth was sealed shut and would be until I was confident there would be no repercussions.

ayeee , what did ya think of this chapter ? :-)