01 | k i n g

the first chapter of the new sequel | i decided not to put it in a separate book because thats just annoying for everybody —

Staring down at my hands, I patiently waited for the loud buzzing noise to let my boyfriend out of jail.

Elliot had not been doing so well when he was locked up—to say the least. Every time I called him it sounded like I was talking to someone who didn't even know what reality was, and unfortunately that seemed to be the case. I knew he had problems, but I didn't know exactly how bad they were until now.

I felt angry with myself, more or less because I wasn't here for him as much as I needed to be but also because I had other duties to tend to that I had been neglecting for the day—Fsociety. Darlene had been depending on me since her brother was away and I was slowly filling in a place I had no idea that I would be taking on.

Of course I wasn't nearly as good at hacking as Elliot but I was learning quick, quick enough to be of some use to their group.

The noise I previously mentioned rang throughout the jail, loud enough to hurt my ear drums. Men of all different sizes and colors were being released from a door to the left of me, filing out in a straight line one by one in their deep blue jump suits. I kept my eye out for Elliot.

The line seemed to go on forever. I can't believe so many people are being released from jail today, it's kind of inconvenient but I'm glad they get to go home to their families.. Possibly.

A text came through from my mother. I technically wasn't supposed to have my phone in this part of the jail but nobody looked or even glanced my way. The guard is overweight, sweating profusely and focusing on enjoying the gum he's smacking between his lips louder than hell.

Mother : Hey Bessie. I'm getting better at this texting thing now. These iPhone's are kind of tricky but I'm trying. How are you? We haven't talked much lately. I wish you would text or call more. I know you started paying your own bills and everything since Joe was incarcerated but I know that's not the only reason you ever came around. Your brother and I miss you. Mary misses you. You have been isolating yourself and according to Dr. Harden that is a symptom of clinical depression. Do you have clinical depression Bes?

After that question I stopped reading the text. Of course I have fucking depression, who doesn't? Not only that, but I don't think it's that hard to believe that with the events that have happened in my life I could be clinically depressed.

Oh, and Dr. Harden is a fucking quack. He's been treating me since I was a kid, I mean he's really been treating everyone in my family since I've been alive. He's one of those family doctors that literally doesn't do shit—He just reads from a little book, diagnoses your problem off of textbook symptoms and shells out medicine. More like shoves it down your throat.

Somehow, the line was still going on. The sound of jail sandals smacking against the floor as each inmate raised their foot was slightly irritating me but I'm just not going to let it destroy my good mood. I mean, c'mon, I get to see Elliot today after months of being without him. Sure I've talked to him on the phone but that's just not the same... He's not the same.

All of a sudden, a familiar face emerges from the crowd. Elliot. My heart stopped and I wanted to immediately jump up and dash towards him to hug him like all the other people waiting for their designated inmates but I know Elliot, I'm going to let him come to me.

I carefully watched his face. He looked tired and worn out, like he'd spent days in the summer dehydrated and alone with a lack of sunburn. Like he's been working himself to the bone with no end in sight.

Of course I'll let him take over his duties when I bring him home. Fsociety is his thing, not mine. Sure it's been fun playing King or follow the leader but these people are power hungry, they like me but I'm not sure if they respect me. Darlene requested for my help though, so hopefully she doesn't act strange now that her brother is coming home. Speaking of which, I really wished that she had came with me today but she decided that there were more important things to be working on. Probably stuck up Cisco's ass for whatever reason.

I also have tried to get ahold of Angela to possibly see if she wanted to hang out recently or if she wanted to come with me today but she hasn't responded to any of my texts or calls. There's something strange going on with her, especially after her leaving Allsafe and everything. I'm not sure what she's been doing since then..

Elliot began walking towards me from across the room after they removed his handcuffs and handed him a thick bag of clothing and some of his things he had in his pockets before he left. I can't wait to see him in his hoodie again, I'm sure he's felt completely lost without it. How could he not? He wore that thing every single day without fail. It was very rare that I saw him without it and that was way back when we used to work together.

He laid his eyes on me and it felt like he was staring into my soul. Not in a creepy way but definitely in an invasive way. We haven't seen eachother's faces since he's been locked up though so I'm not exactly surprised. It's like trying to remind yourself of all the features of the person you love.

I do love Elliot Alderson. I know that for a fact otherwise I would not be here.

He stood two inches away from me.

And then all of a sudden, he dropped his bag and grabbed my face; pulling me in for a kiss.