viii

♛ june fourteenth, two thousand and sixteen

FEAR ENVELOPED HER ENTIRE BODY as yerim made her way to seungwan's room

FEAR ENVELOPED HER ENTIRE BODY as yerim made her way to seungwan's room. there was obviously something that she didn't notice, something that wasn't seen. seungwan would never commit suicide. she made it clear on several occasions that she was absolutely terrified of dying.

it just didn't add up. the beaker of sodium azide was sitting so carelessly on the table, as if the murder was staged. someone has definitely planned out their murders so elaborately so that they wouldn't be able to get caught.

but she would figure it out. if she were to pursue her dream job of being a police officer, she would have to be good at this. she would be the one to solve the murder.

when yerim got to seungwan's room, she almost chickened out. there she was again, entering her dead friend's room, this time without the two other murder suspects. the maknae took a deep breath and opened the door. the scent of chemicals made her head a little dizzy, but she knew she would have to bear through with the minor headache that would pursue.

she slowly walked towards seungwan's bed, being careful to not disturb the room too much. once she got to the bed, she looked at the beaker of sodium azide. she noticed that some had spilled from the beaker to the "nightstand" and onto the floor.

her eyebrows furrowed. there was resistance in this. the piece of evidence confirmed her thoughts — someone murdered seungwan.

but who?

yerim's attention reverted to seungwan, whose entire body was covered by her bedsheets. the youngest girl pulled the covers away from seungwan's dead body and let out a gasp.

seungwan had been tied at the wrist and jump rope with the jump ropes, the similar style of rope tying popping up yet again. there was obviously a serious struggle to escape.

something in the corner of yerim's eye made her blink twice. seungwan's hair was brown, and that piece of hair laying benignly beside her was definitely not brown. yerim grabbed the piece of hair that fell from the murderer, moved to the window, and held it up to the light. her eyes widened at the color. no one else had this color hair except-

a forceful punch landed itself on her cheek, throwing her to the side. yerim hit her head on the edge of seungwan's bed. her temple throbbed from the impact and her cheek was beginning to get sore - an immediate sign it was bruising. the impact made her vision blur, but yerim saw the vague outline of the murderer, confirming her thoughts.

"you were too smart for your own good, kim yerim. now you must pay."

the older girl pressing a chemical-soaked cloth to her nose and mouth was the last thing she saw.

— but she would never know that would be the last thing she saw before she was found dead in the cafeteria kitchen.