extra: FAQ

i'm answering the unanswered ;00

-

[ WHAT KIND OF SCHOOL DO THEY EVEN GO TO? ]

honestly, i don't know how to answer this. in the rush of trying to schedule a summer camp the principal never needed to do before, i guess he just forgot some vital details. perhaps he was up at 3AM and trying to bullshit his way through it. the world may never know.

[ WHO WOULD YOU HAVE SIDED WITH IN THE FIGHT? ]

reminder: in the beginning of the book, the girls got into a conflict where they argued on whether they should call the cops or not

my response? i would've sided with seungwan and yerim to not call the police. of course, i would probably have gotten murdered, but look at all of the good reapings: an entire high school to yourself and your friends, food in the fridge for whenever you want, the things you can take from classrooms, pranks on unsuspecting teachers, freely using the school intercom, etc.

[ WHY WOULD THE GIRLS TAKE A ROPE-TYING CLASS? ]

this was probably super suspicious for all of the girls, but the rope-tying class was really innocent. they went camping over the summer and rope-tying is a skill for boating and canoeing that they learned. who would've known something that started so innocent would end so tragically?

[ WHO ACTUALLY KILLED JOY? HOW? ]

sooyoung (joy) was killed by kang seulgi. the swimming pool is in the same building as the basketball court. yerim innocently testified for seulgi and gave her an alibi, not knowing what she got herself into.

yerim said that when she entered the building to take a shower, she saw seulgi playing basketball. indeed, she was practicing her shots. however, seulgi was recording herself playing and put the audio recording on loop during the duration of yerim's shower time. this way, yerim wouldn't see suspicious of a mysterious silence when seulgi snuck out of the basketball court and into the swimming pool area. sooyoung, though she was set up for her death rather quickly, she died sometime between when yerim was talking to seulgi whilst seulgi was in the shower (a tactic to keep yerim from checking on sooyoung) and when they went to investigate sooyoung's absence at lunch.

[ WHY DID SOOYOUNG DIE BY DROWNING? ]

i think the most ironic thing about sooyoung's death is how she died. "sooyoung" means "swimming" in korean (roughly), and she died by drowning as a swimmer. (honestly where has my love of dad jokes and puns taken me?)

[ DID YOU MAKE UP A RANDOM CHEMICAL TO KILL SEUNGWAN WITH? ]

surprisingly, no. sodium azide, the chemical that seungwan died from, is a real chemical that is commonly found within regular chemistry classrooms for preserving lab experiments. students are warned against consuming it due to its lethal qualities. it causes severe headaches, dangerously low blood pressure, and eventually heart failure. unfortunately, many researchers use this chemical as a method of suicide. (i don't support, don't do suicide. it's bad for your health)

[ WHO CALLED THE COPS? ]

in fact, most of the girls called the cops.

the first one to call the cops was park sooyoung - joy. she was the one to side with seulgi to say that they should call the cops. even though the majority agreed to not call the cops, a gut feeling told sooyoung that it was the right choice. however, the cops thought it was a joke and told her not to prank the department.

second to call was seungwan - wendy. though she was originally for not calling them, a murder was too much. she called after she left the room after trying to draw out the mystery on the shalk board. she called the cops, who were slightly irritated about the amount of "prank calls" they had received similar to hers. her phone call was no use, and it didn't help the situation. that night, seungwan was murdered.